EFI on a 350 or LS1??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 05, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Buck

OK, I guess I going to show my ingnorance on this subject. I have a 350 from a 70 Nova that is being donated to me. I would like to have EFI. I have been looking into a LS1 converstion if I can find one at a good price.

The question is, can you put an EFI setup on the 350? What would be the pros and cons of building the 350 with EFI or going with a LS1?

Here is the info I got on the engine.
It has 9 1/2 to one compression
3/4 cam .488 lift 292 duration. It's a crane cam
Aluminum timing chain to replace the old plastic one
It's hooked up to a Borg warner t-5 transmission.
Has a brand new clutch system already in it for that tranny/motor combo.

That you all think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(far superior to the Pontiac Phoenix)

The Internet. It doesn't make you stupid. It just makes your stupidity more accessible to others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 05, 08:38 AM
Senior Tech

i am no expert but i did this on my 67.first of all you can put fuel injection on that motor it has been done may times.in my opinion (many will disagree)fuel injection is more efficient and looks cool!!now there are several types of fuel injection, from throtle body to tuned port injection.tb is like a carb with 2(or 4)injectors sitting on top of the throttle body.tpi is a set of 8 injectors that shoot straight into the intake port.one thing to keep in mind with efi is the cam, most efi's like a cam with 110-112lsa.the ls1 is way more expensive in the end as opossed to a regualar old 350 with fuel injection.the ls1 is a completly different beast.this was recently disscused here,do a search on it.also i'm pretty sure that the trans u have won't bolt up to an ls1 without mod's.also with a custom efi engine u will either have to burn your own prom(stock ecm)or get aftermarket fuel injection setup,like accel or fast.these are some things to consider.i'm sure others will chime in on anything i missed.by the way i run accel dfi on my car,be prepared to spend some time tuning it especially if u never have done it before.good luck......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 05, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech

well, the LS1 is the future of GM hot rodding, so if you can swing it, why not get one of those? they really aren't that much harder to physically put in, and you will need all the same supporting fuel system upgrades no matter which way you go.
plus, they are lighter and just have way more power potential using the factory long block than that Nova engine.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 05, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Buck

I was thinking of just putting in the 350 as it is until I could get a good deal on a LS1 with a T56 or 4L60E. I know I'd have to modify the drive shaft going from my powerglide to the T5. Would I have to modify the drive shaft again for the T56 or 4L60E change over?

The Internet. It doesn't make you stupid. It just makes your stupidity more accessible to others.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 05, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Buck

This is interesting that there is an EFI survey in the Performance section.
https://www.camaros.net/forum/ultimat...ic/4/9800.html

I'd like to learn more. Anyone have a rough idea on the cost of one of these setups? Players in the field? Holley, Accel, others? Has anyone done it and thoughts?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 03:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The LS1 stuff won't fit on an early 350. It's a completely different engine.

Holley makes some great efi setups, including a 4bbl TBI that you can't tell ain't a carb with the air cleaner on it (I had one of these once) a port injection setup based on a standard 4bbl manifold and air cleaner, and the "stealth" efi, which uses an extremely cool looking LT1 like manifold. All use the same commander 950 controller, and are easy to tune in the car with a laptop.

The tbi is like $1000-1500, the mpi & stealth are like $2500.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Buck

What if you could pick up a LS1 with belt driven accessories, starter, exhaust manifolds, MAF sensor, fuel injection, wiring harness and ECM with a T56 or 4L60e, complete from fuel injection to oil pan for $3000.00... Would it make more sense to go with the LS1?

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 10:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you'll double that getting it running, but yes, absolutely, I'd do it if I could get that whole load for 5k, or maybe even a bit more

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

If you can get a good running LS1 with the transmission, wiring and computer for under $5K I'd be stunned. But yes, if you can get it that cheap then jump all over it. You will still need to dump a bit of change into getting it in the car and up and running right. The Holley Stealth Ram setup is probably one of the cooler setups but it you want an overdrive automatic trans, you might need a controller for it.

Jeff H
69 Z28 Hugger Orange original factory JL8 brakes, being restored
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 05, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Buck

What would you think of a deal like this for a conversion?

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/...tem=7953347313

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 05, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Buck

anyone?

I had the wrong link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7953347313

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 05, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

I bought my LS1/4L60E for 3k. I don't see how you can go wrong. It cost more than that to build my 383/2004R. Although when done the 383/2004R drops right in without many mods. The LS1/4L60E would cost more in the conversion process.

I have both and for the camaro went with an old school engine with EFI. On the 35 since everything has to fabbed anyway the LS1/4L60E goes in there.

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 05, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Buck

What do you think the cost would be after a purchase like this to complete the conversion?

I think I'm going with the 350 for now and try to pick up an LS1 later

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 05, 06:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

boy... hard to say. only ls1 first gen's I ever seen were in magazines, and they were goldplated from bumper to bumper. 3-4k to get it in and running, without doing anything too fancy?

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 05, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Buck

3-4k total or above the engine/trans purchase like listed on Ebay?

I was think about 500-1000 additional stuff needed...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode