Cleaning heads before I work on them?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Question

What's a good way to really clean a set of heads at home besides just washing them down with gasoline using a brush and gasket scraper??

Has anybody ever put them on the BBQ Grill and cooked them for several hours at say 400 degrees, then clean heck outta them after they cool down??

Or should I just spray them down real good with a couple a cans of Easy-Off Oven cleaner and wrap them up in some lawn baggies and let them sit for a week, then scrub them down real good??

I'm gonna start working on a set of -601 heads for my 283 just for the fun of it and want them clean before I start grinding on them sorta thing, that's all..

I just didn't want to cart them off to the Machine Shop for a "hot-tanking", and then bring them back home, grind on them and then have to take them back for a valve job..

pdq67

PS., is it OK to cut the lightweight, -601's, .030" to get them down around 53 or so cc's so I can be very close to 10 to 1 CR. using stock bore, four valve notch, flat-top pistons??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally posted by pdq67:
What's a good way to really clean a set of heads at home besides just washing them down with gasoline using a brush and gasket scraper??

Please, don't use gasoline. Try mineral spirits or cleaning solvent if you can find it.

I like the idea of the oven cleaner.

As a final wash, I have a siphon type sandblaster. I just stick the pickup tube in a bucket of hot soapy water and let 'er rip, then rinse with straight hot water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech

Definatley no on the BBQ grill. I'm not too sure about oven cleaner for a week either. I'd be afraid it would etch the valve seats and guides. I don't know why you would be concerned about two trips to the shop. A hot tank followed by sandblasting is the best way to clean up heads. The only do-it-yourself method I can recommend is to use a wire brush and a can of spray carberator cleaner to remove carbon followed by a good wash with solvent. Then follow that with a hot-water rinse and blow dry. Personally, a trip to the shop would be worth the price of elbo grease and a couple of cans of carb cleaner.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Smile

I hear you, I guess I'm just getting lazy in my, er, -- a, heck, I already am LAZY b/c I don't even have my big engine in my car yet and here I want to start playing with another!!

Boy, talk about stupidity!!!

NOTE, NOTE!!! I should have my new rear pdqCBB 11.75" rotor caliper brackets done shortly so I can install them and finally put the two extra leafs on each side in the back and be totally done with the suspension and brakes except for setting my front coil height!!

Motor in and then I think I will go with a 100 percent W/D/T glasspack exhaust!!! Three per side as long as I can get them to fit!!

pdq67

PS., I did have a bad curb binder on my son's mountain bike a week ago last Thursday and had to lay around on the floor for two day's!! And my left palm still hasn't healed up as hasn't my right knee!! Boy, that was stupid on my part not leaning to the left!!!

I gotta get healed up, get my Buddy to bring his Buddy's Cherry-picker over AND also mulch the scrubs and flowers with about two pick-up loads of mulch..

I mouthing tooo much....

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech

A cheap pressure washer with warm water will clean it so well it will start rusting almost immediately.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

You might try your local paint store. A popular locally owned store here sells Varsol. Almost similiar to Saf-T-Kleen's solvent. I think it might be "A Variety of Solvents."

Bring your own container, cheaper by the bulk size.

While the heads are being done at the shop, I'd ask him about installing hardened seats for unleaded fuel.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

That's a good idea Everett!

Never thought of bulk solvent. I used to use Stoddard Solvent on the RR years ago to wash down the Tamper I ran but I don't know where they got it??

As for Saf-T-Kleen's small parts cleaning solvent, it's hard to say what it is b/c I helped write up an exemption so they could use recycled, slightly HAP containing stuff in their rental paint spray gun units b/c the stuff that met our state's vapor pressure spec. couldn't clean hard paint off the spray guns.

pdq67

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 08:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I use the "Oil Eater" brand degreaser sold at Costco with excellent results.
It's not to expensive and works well in my parts washer.
Hoses right off with water and hasn't hurt the plant's next to the driveway - yet ("non-toxic/biodegradable").
I use this in place of most solvents now.

(edit) Well He11 - 'googled' them and they've got a web-site... (doesn't everybody now)-
http://www.oileater.com/
Hope this helps

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech

I primarily use castrol super clean for cleaning grungy parts. Get a cheap plastic tub (like the storage containers at walmart...they are about $5), and use 10 gallons of hot tap water and 1 gallon of super clean. In a couple of hours there wont even be any paint left on them [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 11:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I've been using carb cleaner from Wal-Mart. It's .78 cents a can and is some really powerful stuff. It will take paint off right along with the grease and grim. You'll need good ventilation because the fumes are horrible. I can't remember the exact name (at work or else I'd look) but look for a black can. I've bought all they've had on the shelf several times. Twenty bucks will get you 25 cans.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Thanks guy's for all the advice..

A plastic tub and some cleaner is in order I think..

pdq67

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 12:47 PM
Senior Tech

I second Catrol Super Clean...good purple stuff.

1982 Camaro, 305, 4bbl Q-Jet
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 05:05 PM
Senior Tech

If you use the castrol super clean, remember 2 things. 1) Do not use it to clean aluminum or cad plated parts that your care about their appearance! 2) Make sure you wear rubber gloves, like dishwashing gloves. That stuff is as bad or worse than any degreaser, gasoline, solvent, etc. on your skin.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech

If you use the castrol super clean, remember 2 things. 1) Do not use it to clean aluminum or cad plated parts that your care about their appearance! 2) Make sure you wear rubber gloves, like dishwashing gloves. That stuff is as bad or worse than any degreaser, gasoline, solvent, etc. on your skin.

Also, as was stated above, the walmart carb cleaner ($0.78/can) is a wonderful cleaner/degreaser. I also buy the stuff by the case [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Question

Travis,

Where do you buy the Castrol Super Clean stuff??

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode