Right oil - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

I just purchased a '69 Pro-Street, 383 Stroker. Has about 1,000 miles on the engine and the previous owner has been using 5W-30. Is it better to stay with that, or go to synthetic? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 06:21 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
A 5w-30 synthetic will give up a few more ponies, but cost a couple more $$. I switched to it.. Engine runs easier now.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 06:52 AM
Retired
Jim

Its broken in now, stay with Synthetic 5w-30 Amsoil or Mobile One are tops. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech

Larry you will get every opinion in the world on this topic. I have a Beck Racing Engine 383 Stroker, I call them and asked them if I should run Synthetic, they recommend against it. Their take is that the Synthetic is going to last longer mileage wise between oil changes but if I don't drive much and change frequent that I am better off using Valvoline 5W-30 and a new HP4 filter every 500-1000 miles.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Actually, the 5W-30 is not synthetic. Any problem switching to the synthetic 5W-30? Thanks.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Brian, Thanks for the info from Beck. I only plan on putting less than 1,000 miles on yearly so sounds like good advice.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 08:59 AM
Retired
Jim

No problem switching as the good syn's are totally compatible with petro oils. Just dump it in and run it. It will increase RPM's over petro oil, which means running cooler and better mileage and less wear.
With the money folks put in their engines, I want the best oil with the least friction I could buy.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 04, 07:24 AM
Senior Tech

I just read an article about synthetic oil. It claims some are blends with dino and there are supposedly no definite controls on the percentage. It also said true total synthetics cost something like $20 per quart and are hard to find. It went on to talking about the paraffin in dino and the lack of it in synthetics. It also talked about different solvents used in different brands to the point of totally confusing me! Toward the end they did finally say that Mobil 1 and Castrol were the best only because everyone that sells oil stocks it. Now, I am not the only one that is going to be confused!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 04, 05:55 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

Semi -synthetics are a waste of money fully synthetic is the way to go .. if you love your car you will spend the money on the best oil and filter that money can buy go with your favorite synthetic with the most expensive oil filter you can find. Your engine will love you for it!

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 04, 08:11 AM
Retired
Jim

Some of that was hog wash too. I dont know of any syn that is $20 a quart. Mobile and Amsoil seem to be the most common 100% synthetic oil out there. Depending on the weight and amount, $3.50 to $5 a quart is more like it.
There are others such as Redline but not found everywhere either. Solvents? thats b.s.
Go to www.mobile.com or www.amsoil.com and read up on oils but rest assured those 2 are 100% syn in todays market of clones. Dont waste money on a partial syn as GreyShadow mentioned.
[img]smile.gif[/img]

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech

No need to get upset with me because I was just telling you what I read. I read it at 'www.explorerforum.com' when I was trying to find hints for the 91 Explorer that we inherited-both heads cracked between the valves.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 05:41 PM
Retired
Jim

No one is upset with you at all deerhunter. You got misinformation at a site and I wanted to let you know that before you believed them. Thats why I recommend reading the oil company sites. Their info. is fact and they stand behind it. Its always good to take some individual's info. with a grain of salt and then do your own research direct with manufacturers. [img]smile.gif[/img] No harm, no foul. My reference to hogwash was the 'information they gave you', not you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode