Stock DZ quench - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

My engine builder told me that he used .039 Fel-Pro head gaskets in my DZ rebuild. It is standard bore, block not decked, standard pistons and rods. Is that head gasket too thick? How far is the piston down in the bore in an original engine? The engine is still on a stand so the head gaskets can be changed easily.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech

On most GM engines the piston sit's down .020 - .025 in the hole with a standard deck height. So with .039 head gaskets you're looking at a .059 - .064 quench. The target is .040 so if both surfaces are in good shape a set of steel shim gaskets would be about perfect (aka like GM had it originally). Hope this helps
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I am probably not even close to the 11:1 cr then am I?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 02:17 PM

Smile

Put a set of Fel-pro PN 1094, .015" thick, rubber coated steel shim headgaskets on it to make her as close as you can get her to what she should be w/o blue-printing it.

pdq67

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Are the rubber coated shims a better choice over the composite type? Only the heads have been surfaced. Any other type of work like beburring while the heads are off?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech

I don't believe composites come much if any thinner than the composites you have. My understanding is that the rubber coating eliminate the need to paint the shim gaskets with sealer. If your deck surface is decent you should be fine. We always retorqued the heads when using shims after it went through a heat cycle though (i.e. after the cam breaks in and the engine has cooled back down). Others folks may have pointers as well.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 06:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I just put on a set of those, and fel-pro does recommend a sealer if you are not absolutly certain everything is flat and square, I used permatex copper spray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode