knock knock where's it at ??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy

hey guy's long time no type!!!!!! [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]

I have a 87 suburban with a 94 vortec engine.

the engine has a terrible knock,I was hoping it was a bad converter but after unbolting that and still having the knock,I then knew it was a rod...wrong!
I pulled the pan and all the bearings looked great main and rod,I checked all to be sure.

Iam stumped!!!!!

it almost can;t be heard at idel,but just a little gas and it sounds like it's gonna blow.

one thing I though of if the dist was from the orginal 87 motor could there be a problem with the gear...maybe roller cam in the 94 motor I really don;t know.

thanks! for any thoughts though!!!

boy do I mis the 67 [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]

Will

"Drive it like you stole it"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 SS camaro daily driver(wifes)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

The mid 90's vortec engines are famous for piston slap. Is the knock really bad or just audible enough to be annoying? I had a '94 Silverado with a 305 that I could hear piston slap in at idle. When cold I often thought there was a serious problem, but the truck is still going strong (in someone elses garage now though).

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

no this is a serious noise. I can't believe the bearing were so good.
this motor is said to only have 35k on it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech

i would have to agree with choptop,i had the same problem(piston slap)in my 89 pickup.i took the motor apart and found 3 pistons with broken rings.the guy that i bought it from didn't belive in putting oil in it.on mine it sounded like a rod knock but looking at the bearings i could see they were good.does it ge louder as u rev it?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 04:16 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Thumbs up

Me too, pistons can make a lot of noise...bad noise.

Wristpin(s) is another possibility.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

way loud when you rev it,kinda sounds like something rapping on an exhaust pipe.
but really can;t pin point to one side or front to back.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech

a 94 isn't a Vortec- it's just a one piece rear main seal 350 TBI engine with a flat tappet cam in it instead of a roller.
my cousin has a 94 Suburban with a 350, and it make a bit of a racket like a bad rod knock at startup for a few seconds, then quiets right down.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I though all were vortec when they became F/I'd.

if it a stardard short block then the 350 from that 84 pick-up will go in with just a intake swap right?

thanks!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 04, 11:12 PM
Senior Tech

there are differences from the older small blocks to the newer ones- the most notable two are the one piece rear seal and the angle of the 2 middle intake bolts on each side. so, with a flexplate that matches the year of the engine, and a little die grinder work on the 2 middle intake bolt holes in the TBI intake, it should be a fairly direct swap. of course, then you have to deal with the TBI computer maybe not liking the older engine...

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 04, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

sshhhheeessss...........anybody want to buy a 3/4 ton suburban [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode