Need help...building a Chevy 385 Stroker Engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Hello, I need some info on ring gap,roller rockers, and oil pan requirements on a Chevy 385 stroker engine I'm building. I'm using Speed Pro hypereautic pistons, .040. Do I have to file fit the rings?, the ring gap is .019-.020. I've heard the 2nd ring should be a larger gap than the top? Also should I purchase a high perf.oil pan with windage tray, baffles and crank scraper? Will a standard 327/350 stock oil pan fit a stroker with 5.7in rods? One other ?, should I install roller rockers with a 1.6 ratio or 1.5, my cam is an extreme energy, .469 int/.480 exh lift. i really do not want to purchase a new set of push rods, since I have a set of hardened std size,if I go with rollers, it might change the length required? My heads are 64cc, Dart 200cc intake runners, compression around 9.5-9.7max.thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Bypassing the ring question for the more informed.

No reason to go to roller rockers unless you want to. Granted they give up more horsepower, but not a neccessity for any engine.
1.5 rollers will be fine and still add power without need for new rods, 1.6 would give approximately .030 more lift to the valves and the heads may need to be worked for the extra movement of the rods. I went with the 1.6 and hardend steel +-100% rods with no machine work needed. If you do go with the 1.6 be it standard or roller rockers. Be sure to get the appropriate springs to handle the extra lift.

Oil pan wont matter as far as stroke goes, the rod journals wont ever reach as far down as the oil sump. If you planning on using this motor for drag racing only there is no reason for a windage tray and multiple baffles. Those are for the benefit of keeping the oil where the sump can get to it and scraping extra oil off the crank.
Stock pan would work, I only opted for a 7 qt. pan to get the extra oil and allowing it to cool more before going back into the motor. The front of the pan is the same depth.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave327:
Hello, I need some info on ring gap,roller rockers, and oil pan requirements on a Chevy 385 stroker engine I'm building. I'm using Speed Pro hypereautic pistons, .040. Do I have to file fit the rings? , the ring gap is .019-.020. I've heard the 2nd ring should be a larger gap than the top?

It depends on the ring set that you buy, file fit or standard fit. Even the standard fit rings should be filed to bring them into spec if they are too big. Don't assume they are right without checking them.

Also should I purchase a high perf.oil pan with windage tray, baffles and crank scraper? Will a standard 327/350 stock oil pan fit a stroker with 5.7in rods?

Not necessary - it depends on your buget. You may have to dimple the stock pan for clearance, but you won't know for sure until you check it.

One other ?, should I install roller rockers with a 1.6 ratio or 1.5, my cam is an extreme energy, .469 int/.480 exh lift. i really do not want to purchase a new set of push rods, since I have a set of hardened std size,if I go with rollers, it might change the length required? My heads are 64cc, Dart 200cc intake runners, compression around 9.5-9.7max.thanks!

Your pushrods will probably be OK, but with 1.6's you need to check for coil bind in your springs, for retainer to valve guide/seal clearance, spring to rocker arm clearance and make sure that the hole the pushrods pass through in the heads is big enough. There might be other issues, but those are the ones that come to mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 09:15 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Your pistons should have ring gap specs on the instruction sheet. You typically have a larger ring gap on the top ring (it is closer to the heat). On hyperutectic pistons you don't want the rings to butt or you will break the crown of the piston. When in doubt call the piston manufacture. This gap also varies depending on your intended use, fuel, N2O, etc...

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 04, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Also, if going to 1.6 ratio rockers, of any type, one has to buy/beg/borrow/steal a Louis tool to lengthen the pushrod slot in the head for the additional pushrod clearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode