should an LS1 use oil??? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 00, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

my 99Z28 LS1 seems to be using quite a bit of oil, sometimes as much as 2 quarts between changes. is this normal? don't see blue smoke or leaks underneath.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 00, 11:33 AM

im no expert but i wouldnt think it should do that on a newer motor like that but dunno what it could be. Do u hot rod it alot? , and also check your oil plug for leaks and your oil filter never know .and make sure there tight and also look at the front of your intake and make sure its not leakin there cause i blew that out on my truck and it used more oil after that happened good luck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 00, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

How many miles you put on between changes? You won't see blue smoke because the cat. converter will suck it up.

Mark

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 00, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

try to do it every 3000mi, but you know how that goes, i've slipped into the habit of letting the "change oil" warning light tell me when to do it, which is usually about every 4000. i don't see any leaks around the plug, filter, or intake. it's a Z, so naturally i'm going to get squirrely every now and then, but i don't think i'm particularly hard on the motor. it's not like i blow away cobras off the line every day, just every once in a while. i use standard 5W/30, not synthetic. maybe synthetic would help if the oil's breaking down or burning... i don't know, just thought other ls1 owners could let me know if they have experienced the same. thanks for your suggestions.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 00, 12:46 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I have been lerking around the SLP board since I picked up the '96SS. There is a lot of talk there about oil use and 4th gens with the LS1. Seem GM feels 1 - 1 1/2 quarts between changes is acceptable. I have also heard of guys having the motors replaced by GM for excessive oil consumption... They put you through the drill though! Fill the crankcase and seal it! You bring it back they break the seal and check the oil level.... My LT1 has 55k on it, 600 mi since I got it along with fresh oil. It's still right on the line! Good luck!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 00, 01:38 PM

Talking

I have a 97 Vette with the LS1. It does not use a drop between changes. I do use Mobile One Synthetic. I bought the car new it now has 53000 miles on it and it gets a good flogging at least once a weak. Have your local Chevy dealer do an oil consumption test on it.

------------------
67 Convertible
97 Vette
Chevrolet powered boat 28ft Profile cat 502EFI Procharged with 13lbs boost radar 112 MPH
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 00, 03:43 PM

Unhappy

All the older V-8's (original block casting types)that I've had have used alittle oil. Not much, 1/2 to a quart and a 1/4 in 3000-45,5000 miles in years gone by.

But don't know about any of the later engines.

I just hope the Generals "better idea" holds up because they obsoleted the best engine design in the world when they got away from the first block type. IMHO

PS. My '87 Chevy (Suzuki) Sprint ER 3-banger went 200,000 and never used a drop over 1/2 quart with oil changes averaging from 3500/4000 miles up to once at 9500. I wish American cars would do the same.

I think that it has to do with Tin or Nickel content alloy in the cast-iron as cast. Seems the stuff is harder and wears longer but at the expense of tooling wear costs.
So they can make them to last!!!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 00, 08:26 PM

I don't know about what manuals you have been reading but new LS1's manuals only reccommend oil changes at 7000 miles, 7500 max. That 3000 garbage was when cars were ol' lead burners and we used natural oils instead of synthetics. My best guess would be to go ahead and fork the money for a GM computer code reader and check that at every oil change to see if the computer recognizes any problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode