Arrrrg! Smoked the cam. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 15, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Mule

Angry Arrrrg! Smoked the cam.

Just venting...
Pretty close to complete with the resto. 396, 500 miles on a fresh rebuild. Started stumbling and missing. Chasing the cause, found blown intake gasket, a pan full of oil-antifreeze milkshake, 4E pushrod in a mr pretzel form, 4I pushrod tip beat off, and about all lobes (but cylinder 4) wiped. Only thing I can think of is prior to all this I ahd a big backfire while starting up (had been sitting a while and was pumping gas into dry carb). Glad it's summer, makes the beer taste better while cleaning up this mess.

Mule

Buckets and piles of a 1968 SS Conv 396
-piles are getting smaller, and it started !
- got the paint on, interior is next.
- interior is about done, it's cruise'able !
- down to top,windows and a few little pieces and it's done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 15, 09:00 PM
John

Garage
Re: Arrrrg! Smoked the cam.

Did you build the engine?

With you forensics it hard to tell what broke 1st.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 01:01 AM
Senior Tech
alex

Who built the engine what cam brand and model number also what lifters and motor oil was used. Alex

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Mule

My build with some local machine work.
Cam was a Crane2030. Going back with a Lunati.
With the #4 cylinder clean lobes and those pushrods both messed up, I'm thinking it has to be the backfire popped the gasket and the pushrods (not sure i believe this yet), then antifreeze in oil smoked the cam. Both 4E and 4I lobes are fine. The rest are pretty much wiped. Oil was originally Val 10/30. Lifters were Comp. Springs came with cam.

Backfire wasn't anything huge, but not normal. Car had been sitting in shop for a few weeks. Has/was running fine prior to this. After a few weeks, the gas evaps from carb, so I'm pumping and turning over to get fuel to carb...backfire.

Mule

Buckets and piles of a 1968 SS Conv 396
-piles are getting smaller, and it started !
- got the paint on, interior is next.
- interior is about done, it's cruise'able !
- down to top,windows and a few little pieces and it's done
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Odds are the cam went flat first. What kind of break in procedure/lube did you use when you first fired the engine?

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech
alex

Not familiar with a Crane 2030 is it new stuff or old . They are supposed to be making excellent quality cams since S&S took them over . why would you use Comp lifters on a Crane cam ?Are these left over parts you had ? The 10 / 30 Valvoline was it VR-1 Silver bottle or regular ? Did you use a bottle of break-in lube. Did you slop up the lobes with any type of extreme pressure lubricant like Isky REV-LUBE. Like Brian said we need to know all these things . Alex
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Spring pressure is another factor; especially on break in. Flat tappets do not tolerate a lot of spring pressure now thanks to changes in the oil formulation. You can run ZDDP additive all the time to compensate, but even when these motors where brand new a flat tappet and a stiff valve spring was a recipe for a disaster.

Big Dave
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 01:20 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss27 View Post
Not familiar with a Crane 2030 is it new stuff or old . They are supposed to be making excellent quality cams since S&S took them over . why would you use Comp lifters on a Crane cam ?Are these left over parts you had ? The 10 / 30 Valvoline was it VR-1 Silver bottle or regular ? Did you use a bottle of break-in lube. Did you slop up the lobes with any type of extreme pressure lubricant like Isky REV-LUBE. Like Brian said we need to know all these things . Alex
Crane was sold again last year.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I would highly recommend going hyd roller. I have had many go this route with resto's.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

I went roller after losing 2 solid lifter cams. 1st lasted about 50k and the 2nd 8700 mi. The 2nd was broke in using my old springs with Joe Gibbs BR oil. Joe Gibbs 10w-30 Hot Rod oil was used after the cam was worked for a few hundred miles then I changed the springs and broke in the springs the same way as the cam per Lake Speed Jr (Joe Gibbs Racing).

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 07:16 PM
John

Garage

IMHO the Joe Gibbs products are not the best.

I've used Valvoline VR-1 and not had issues.

There is no reason Flat Tappet Can Installations can not be successful.

But yes if possible pony up for the rollers
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 09:20 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

After using Joe Gibbs Hot Rod oil, I switched to Valvoline VR1 with a bottle of EOS. I still lost a lobe. It's today's crappy steal and hardening process they're using.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech
alex

Well now we have just learned from Chris Straub that S&S no longer owns Crane Cams . Just for that reason now I would not buy a cam from them .So what does that leave . you cant buy a Lunati they are owned by brand CC so that quality is gone . So for flat tappet cams you have Isky Howards Engle Crower Clay Smith and Schnieder. I have used the first three all excellent quality no problems . the last three I just don't know they do have excellent reputations for quality. IF I had the funds to go roller I would definatly go with a Chris Straub roller the list of smiling and happy customers is endless. I wish he sold a line of F / T cams I would buy one . Alex
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 15, 07:23 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

From a few yrs ago.

Camshaft Machine Company (CMC) located in Jackson, Michigan was established in 1942 and is probably the largest designer and manufacturer of automotive camshafts in the world. CMC produces cams for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Comp Cams, Lunati, Edlebrock, Crane, Wolverine and many others.

Most (but not all) of the automotive camshafts produced today are produced at one of the Big Three cam manufacturers all located in Michigan. CMC of Jackson, MI., Engine Power Components (EPC) of Muskegon, MI., and Waver Bartel Cam Company, of Grand Haven, MI.

So the next time you buy your new Comp Cams, Lunati, Ultradyne, Iskenderian, Engle, or other cam there is a good chance it was actually made in Michigan at one of the top three cam makers. What the cam companies do is have their proprietary grinds (design, lob profile etc.) and have them ground by one of the big three. Very few cams are actually ground by a name brand cam company, Crane is one exception but they donít grind all of theirs either.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 15, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
From a few yrs ago.

Camshaft Machine Company (CMC) located in Jackson, Michigan was established in 1942 and is probably the largest designer and manufacturer of automotive camshafts in the world. CMC produces cams for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Comp Cams, Lunati, Edlebrock, Crane, Wolverine and many others.

Most (but not all) of the automotive camshafts produced today are produced at one of the Big Three cam manufacturers all located in Michigan. CMC of Jackson, MI., Engine Power Components (EPC) of Muskegon, MI., and Waver Bartel Cam Company, of Grand Haven, MI.

So the next time you buy your new Comp Cams, Lunati, Ultradyne, Iskenderian, Engle, or other cam there is a good chance it was actually made in Michigan at one of the top three cam makers. What the cam companies do is have their proprietary grinds (design, lob profile etc.) and have them ground by one of the big three. Very few cams are actually ground by a name brand cam company, Crane is one exception but they donít grind all of theirs either.

Well stated and right on Target!!!!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode