also overheating - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

this is not regarding a camaro. this is acutually regarding my sister's jeep cherokee 4.0. my sister's jeep is overheating. she doesnt know when it stated. i had the thermostat changed for her but it still is overheating. its actualy kind of strange after the thermostat was changed. i thought it was just that it was low on coolant as when i drove it home for her, the temp would go down when i accelerated but would climb quickly(in a matter of a couple of sec) when i came to a stop. it is like when gas gauge would go up and down when stopped or acceleration. i dont hear anything in the water pump so i would asssume that it is working properly. as i let it sit when i filled up with coolant, after a while the i watched the coolant start to rise/bubble so i put the cap back on and it started to just leak out of the cap. i know with a bad cap, it might get hotter but i dont think it would overheat. is there a chance that it can still be the water pump? i could almost swear that i saw the water flowing into the reservoir meaning a good pump. oh, by the way, as far as the termostat, when it was pulled out, it was seemed to be stuck in the open position with me thinking that it might have not been the termostat because with it open, water would still flow. any other suggestions?

thanks angel

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 08:40 AM
Tech Team

Be sure there is no air bubbles in the system. When you changed thermostats, did you get all the
air out of the engine. Try to "burp" the system.
Sounds like you have a air pocket in there somewhere.

69' 468,510hp dyno'd roller,Doug Nash 5spd,9" ferd 4.11,Posi<br />Hope for mid 11's
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

that is what i was thinking. someone also suggested that to me. so, do i just let the engine run with the cap off?

thanks
angel

angel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 09:48 AM

I may have a simular problem. How do you "Burp" a big block with a 4-row?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 04, 10:00 AM
Tech Team

Thatís what I do, pull off the cap, start the engine and as the coolant circulates it will
"burp" the air out. Every time the coolant rises
and pukes it out add more back in until you get
a solid flow thru the cores with no rise or fall
of coolant. Once you are at this point fill the rad. and you should have it fixed.

On a new or empty engine I take the thermostat
housing off and the rad. cap. I fill the engine thru the thermostat hole in the intake until the
engine is full then reinstall the housing and fill the rad. It is still necessary to "burp" the system some but no where near what it takes by just filling the rad up.
Hope this helps.

69' 468,510hp dyno'd roller,Doug Nash 5spd,9" ferd 4.11,Posi<br />Hope for mid 11's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode