Black smoke under hard acceleration - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nate

Black smoke under hard acceleration

Coming back from the car show today my friend was behind me at a stop. I ran wot to the top of 3rd gear. When we got back to my place my friend told me when I launched I had black smoke dump out of my exhaust. He said it only did it on the launch. I did a tune up a couple months ago with new plugs and rebuild the carb (Holley 600 4 bbl) while I had the plugs out I did a compression test all 8 cylinders were 148~150 the old plugs were not black, white or had any signs of bad burn. Put new plugs in. Re did the timing bc my carb had a vacuum leak. It's at 33* total. Engine is a 327 with stock heads, edlbrock intake, hei, mild cam. Mild engine. Vacuum is a 15hg steady. The car runs great, idles smooth. I have a m20 4 speed with 12 bolt rear, 3:31 gears with posi. I do have a slight chatter when starting from a stop (guessing my cam is not matched with the gear ratio??) my question is, is the black smoke under hard acceleration an issue? I believe it's a rich condition which could be fix by leaning it out a touch but otherwise the car runs great! And the plugs show it. Should I tune accordingly? and how would you recommend to?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 09:28 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Black smoke under hard acceleration

Sure it wasn't just dumping carbon from the exhaust system? Usually a second pass back to back at WOT reveals no carbon left, so no smoke screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nate

That very well could be it, he did say it looked like black smoke dust. I really don't dump the pedal and run wot. Just cruise around mainly, sometimes I'll give her some gas but it's not a wot throttle like today.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 09:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Try some smaller accelerator pump squirter nozzles. Your Air/Fuel ratio is rich on hard acceleration. Smaller squirters should clean that up and make it run even harder.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nate

I'll have to see what size the nozzle is on it now. One step smaller you think? I'm going to try a couple more wot runs one after another to see if it's just carbon in my exhaust before I try out the nozzle swap.

Last edited by Nhurt; Jun 17th, 15 at 10:01 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 15, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Don't mess with it if it is running well, likely it is just [email protected] in the exhaust.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 15, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nate

Thanks!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 15, 09:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

You can try going one step smaller.

Here's what I'd do: Read the plugs.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 15, 12:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Yep, don't mess with it.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 15, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nate

The plugs look great. I'm not going to mess with it, it runs great and probably just carbon that puked out from the exhaust when I dumped it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 15, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhurt View Post
The plugs look great. I'm not going to mess with it, it runs great and probably just carbon that puked out from the exhaust when I dumped it.
yup and you know what that means..... You don't step on it enough!
When in New York we called it an Italian tuneup(please no one take offense geeeeze).
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 15, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Nate

Hahahahahahah
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 15, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhurt View Post
Hahahahahahah
x2
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 12:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sc View Post
x2
So that's where that came from, New York. I thought it was from my neighborhood. Oh wait. I was in New York once too. It was 67 years ago.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Since it's "make fun of Italians day" :

The Italian Tomato Garden

An old Italian man lived alone in the country. It was Spring and he wanted to dig his tomato garden, as he had done every year, but it was very hard work for the aging man as the ground was hard. His only son, Vincent, who used to help him, was currently in prison. The old man wrote a letter to his son and described his predicament:

Dear Vincent,
I am feeling pretty bad because it looks like I won't be able to plant my tomato garden this year. I'm just getting too old to be digging up a garden plot. If only you were here my troubles would be over. I know you would dig the plot for me.

Love Dad

A few days later he received a letter from his son:

Dear Dad,
Not for nothing, but don't dig up that garden. That's where I buried the BODIES.
Love,
Vinnie

At 4 a.m. the next morning, FBI agents and local police arrived at the old man's house and dug up the entire area. However, they didn't find any bodies, so they apologized to the old man and left.

That same day the old man received another letter from his son.

Dear Dad,
Go ahead and plant the tomatoes now. That's the best I could do under the circumstances.

Love,
Vinnie

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode