should i be worried about a 1 inch long scracth in cylinder wall?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 01, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

well never noticed it before but there is a nick in the cylinder wall about 1 inch long do not know how it got there but do u think this would cause blow by, cause u really cant feel the scratch going up and down but if u go side to side with your finger nail it gets hung on the scratch dunno , really just want one more season out of it then im going to a 355 small block but the 400 will be missed it will probably be running mid 13s u think it will hold up for one race season , the compression number of that cylinder was the same as the rest almost so i think it might be ok need some better advice though thanks again CYA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

its not just a scratch more like some one got a screw driver and dug at it
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 01, 09:06 PM
Senior Tech

I am assuming that this is a fresh block that your assembling? Is the line straight? Overbored? If that block is bare I would take it to a machine shop and have it checked and make sure it isnt cracked. If it is in a engine that has already been running, I would check for a broken ring or maybe even a wristpin working its way out of the piston.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 04:59 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

First thing find out how it got there. Next if it was running fix the problem with that cylinder then look into how your going to have to fix the scratch. You might be able to hone it. You might have to bore it or even sleeve it. Take it to reputable shop and have it checked out. Don't be afraid of a sleeve. If it has to be used to save your block and as long as they are installed correctly it should never give you any problems.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

yeh ill do something but yeh the motor has ran before it has 20 k on it i was thinkin that mabey something in the cylinder scrathed it , it is a perfectly straight line if it is a ring i wonder if it will smoke , im just hoping it will last one more season without smoking or any thing since it is a 400 bored 30 over already i dont think it would be save to go over any more and plus with that scratch i would have to bore it probably 20 over which then would not be good for the street probably over heat i am already running eletric fans and a clutch fan at the same time pretty hard to keep cool well thanks for the help, doesnt sound good to me though
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 05:00 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

As I said before you can sleeve it. It may have scuffed a cylinder from overheating. Do you have the steam holes drilled in the heads? When running a 400 and using heads off any other smallblock you nned to drill steam holes in the heads. Heads from a 400 will already have them. If they are not there you will have over heating problems. Also check your cooling system out
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 01, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

yeh it has steam holes and we already replaced every thing for cooling new water pump , radiator vatted , new thermostate , but before that it did over heat alot thats y we done all that it got up to 260 probably 6 times but now it dont over heat it runs about 165 and on a hot day 190 or 200 thats with that 40 below stuff in there to. so yeh very hard to kool them engines
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 01, 11:37 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
camaro79tx

what size rad. do you have? a two core may be a bit small, try a 4core. i have a 21" 3 core in my '68 with a 400 (.030 over) and runs about 180 with a 160 t.stat.,on a hot day may see 200 - 210 at the most.
worth a shot?

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode