inline 6 to 396 conversion - exhaust manifold won't clear steering box - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy inline 6 to 396 conversion - exhaust manifold won't clear steering box

I'm in the process of converting my (previously non-original) 1967 inline 6 camaro to a 396 big block. I used the correct motor mounts and engine brackets during the install. Now at the point I'm trying to bolt in the correct original exhaust manifolds that I hunted down, the driver side just won't clear the power steering gearbox. Has that been a problem for anyone? Any solutions out there from the greybeards?

I've already got some desperate answers going through my mind: change to headers, get rid of power steering, roll the car off a cliff, .......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 06:52 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: inline 6 to 396 conversion - exhaust manifold won't clear steering

Post what engine and frame mounts that you used and the part numbers on the exhaust manifolds.

The Big Block engine is supposed to be offset 1/2" to the passenger side. If you measure from the carburetor stud to each fender, there should be a 1" difference in your measurements.

Also, make sure that your transmission crossmember is correct by moving the Transmission (and engine) 1/2" to the passenger side and forward by 3/4".

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Jun 21st, 15 at 07:03 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 07:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruce

Re: inline 6 to 396 conversion - exhaust manifold won't clear steering

Remove the motor mount bolt and jack the engine up then place the manifold in behind the steering box then lower the engine in place. Bolt up manifold ready to go. Bruce

68 RS/SS 396 4speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I specifically bought the big block motor stands from Ecklers, so I'm confident about those. I did get out the tape measure and tried the trick you mentioned, and sure enough the engine is nearly an inch offset toward the passenger side.

I'll try unbolting from the driver side motor mount tomorrow and jacking it up just a bit to get the manifold on. The manifold does have a big depression in the area where the steering gearbox corner goes, so once it's on, I'm thinking it should settle in and clear by a little bit.

The casting numbers aren't real clear on the manifold, but it looks like 3909879 or 3808879.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

How about that transmission crossmember ? If you don't have a big block crossmember the engine will sit crooked and your exhaust manifold will not fit !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 15, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
How about that transmission crossmember ?
Good point. There are 3 transmission cross members for the first generation Camaro. BB 4 speed, BB with a TH400, and one for the rest. The BB cross members transmission mounting holes are offset towards the passenger side as well. What transmission are you using?

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 15, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a Bowtie Overdrives crossmember for the 700R4. I don't recall it saying anything about it being specifically for any type of motor..... I'll crawl underneath tonight to see if there's any adjustment I can make pushing the tail of the trans toward the passenger side of the car which in effect might create clearance for the exhaust manifold.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 15, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, Bruce's trick worked. It took me about an hour of trying to realign the motor mount hole back up enough to get the bolt back through, but it finally did. After the exhaust manifold went on, then the motor settled back down, it ended up having lots of clearance. Like over 1/2". It's because of the big depression-type of indent they cast into the exhaust manifold right where the corner of the power steering gearbox is closest to it. Thanks everyone.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 15, 08:59 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Many places that sell transmission crossmembers do not even know that there is a difference between a crossmember for a Big Block and a crossmember for a small block.

I am betting that your crossmember is not right.

The Big Block piece should move the transmission mount 1/2" to the passenger side and 3/4" forward from the small blocks location.

Even if you finally got it all bolted together it doesn't mean you are home free. The engine is sitting crooked, which can cause vibrations etc. The other thing is that you are stretching your transmission case 3/4" ! You can expect cracked transmission cases etc.

To check if yours is correct, measure from the side of the subframe to the output shaft centerline on both sides. It should be just like the carburetor stud measurement, A 1" difference in your measurements. This is a 1/2" offset !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode