Valve covers for 69, BB, 454?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 04, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

I want to run some Cal Custom finned aluminum, low style, valve covers for that retro look, but don't know if they will clear my power brake booster. I have seen the chromed sheet metal ones with the angled off rear corner but I don't like the look as well. I am sure others have had the same challenge, what are my options?

69RatSS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 04, 05:46 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

The angled corner are often used on b/b camaro, but they are incorrect. The originals did not have the angle, and the issue is not the booster, but ratherm the wiper motor. The back end next to the firewall is slanted more on the driver side valve cover. There's a little bump-out on the inside back at the top. The bubm-out is about the size of the first joint of your pinky finger.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 04, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Do I have any choice in the matter? What I mean is, if one has a BB do you need to use the angled covers or is there another option?

69RatSS

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 03:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jan

Send a message via AIM to jannes_z-28
Are you talking about this kind of valve covers?

I have them on my 69 and they fit barely. Note that my engine have the smallblock engine mounts so it sits even narrower to the brake booster than it should.

To remove them I have to push the booster some, one of the bolt holes on the cover is grinded some for clearance.

It is tight but possible.

Jan

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
'69 Camaro Z-28, X77, Cortez Silver, LS1 / T56, Still has the original BU rear end

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Yes they are similar to the ones on the picture. Do you have a shot of the other side showing the clearances? What is the deal with smallblock mounts on a big block?

69RatSS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 09:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jan

Send a message via AIM to jannes_z-28
Sorry, this is the best picture I have.

But there is clearance with these covers, it is just hard to remove them.

Big blocks in a first gen Camaro has different motor mounts that moves the engine 1 inch towards the passenger side. One of the reasons Chevrolet did this was just the clearance between the valve covers and the brake booster.

I am at the moment redoing this so my car will have the proper mounts. Since it is a Z/28 I have the wrong mounts for a Big Block.

There are a few other items to consider when moving the engine 1 inch to the right.

You need the Big block heater element and cover.
You need the Big block clutch Z-bar
There is another crossmember for the trans.
If you have a manual trans you need to move the stick back one inch. A spacer can fix it.
And of course the mounts for the engine to the frame.

Jan

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
'69 Camaro Z-28, X77, Cortez Silver, LS1 / T56, Still has the original BU rear end

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 04, 02:14 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I agree with everything except the part about moving the shifter back 1". The shifter comes through the tunnel at the same spot whether b/b or s/b.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 04, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/phe...Sep13%2312.jpg Here is a link to my covers, very similar. I have an 8" booster on there so you have to figure the difference to a stock booster.

Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi Sold
'02 triple blk Vette Vert. now
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode