6 cyl to small block swap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 03, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hey all,

Looking at a 67' 6 cyl/3-speed (on the column) car. The body is too good to pass up. BUT before I purchase...

What parts do I need to replace the 6 with a small block?

I have a fresh TH350 that would be going in, too. Will that fit on the 3-speed crossmember? How about drive shaft length. Same?

I should probably mention I already have a shifter and converter for the TH350.

Thanks,
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

We've done this before here, do a search.

However, chassis mounts for the engine mounts, pedal-to-carb linkage, radiator hoses, fan shroud, ground straps.

Yes, Th350 with 6 inch tailshaft housing will fit 3-spd and driveshaft is the same length.

Are you sure you want to change this car? I mean, if its in good shape and all original, especially for PA., I myself would have second thoughts of a changeover, especially if its a 3-spd. I have not seen one of these equipped this route.

Maybe others here will help......

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 04:21 AM

I would at least hesitate jerking out the 6 cylinder. You may not know this but, check the link that I attached and you will be surprised at what you can do to a 6'er.

www.cliffordperformance.com

My car too was a 6 with three on the tree (motor long gone) and had I known that the 6's could be built I probably would have kept the car a 6 (had it been there). Have fun.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

I did a search but was unsuccesful. I appreciate the help!

Definitely want to change the car over...unless it turns out to be super-rare. Then I will probably still change it but keep all the necessary components to change it back. I don't plan on cutting the body up so, shouldn't be a problem there.

Clifford has some interesting stuff but I think the only 6 I would be interested in building would be a V6 w/turbo a la GNX.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Chad
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 03, 01:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Garage
Angry

I would leave the 6 in it.

I am a bit biased though

Paul [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

'69 Camaro, 250 inline 6, EFI Turbo rebuild is running!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, CC5S TKO 500, and more.

V8 Camaros are like navels......Everybody has one.

The Toad. 1970 base Camaro (Navel), 350, turbo 700R4, 3.73 posi, Hotchkis TVS system,
Mrs. McGoo's & McGoo Jr.'s toy

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 03, 03:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
My 68 was an original 6 cyl 3 on the floor RS convertible. The 6 is now resting in the corner of my garage and a 355 with about 425 hp with an M20 is in there now. you KNOW which one I like better
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 03, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I bought my car with a 6 and swapped in my 383. Best thing I ever could have done. No regrets whatsoever. The 250 I6 sits safely under my workbench.

You will need all new accessory brackets, new frame and engine mounts, a bigger radiator, a new shroud, new hoses and belts, probably a new starter, probably a bigger battery.

The existing crossmember and driveshaft will work with a Powerglide, TH350 or 4 speed. The TH400 style crossmember is needed for an overdrive tranny or a TH400 and the driveshaft would need a new yoke for a TH400 and shortened for an OD tranny. You can reuse the generator and maybe the power steering pump. Front springs should be fairly close if you have aluminum heads, aluminum intake, and headers on your 350.

Hope this helps.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 03, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech
Ray

Another thought, keep the six but throw a turbo on it. Plenty of room there for a turbo. Then you could be different and have lots of power to boot.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode