Rad Fluid Level - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 15, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Rad Fluid Level

I noticed my 396 was running a bit hotter then usual the other day, I checked the rad fluid level and its about 2-3 inches from the top. I can see about 2 inches of the core.

Thinking it was low I topped it up until the top of the core was cover by the fluid.

I checked it again after a couple of short drives and the fluid level is back down to 2-3 inches from the top again.

Is that normal? Mine just has the burping tube, no overflow bottle.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 15, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Rad Fluid Level

Yep, that is normal. There should be a full cold and full hot on the end of the radiator. (tank)

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 15, 06:10 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Rad Fluid Level

If you filed it to the top then rode it somewhere on the ride you puked out the overflow which reduced the level back down. Look (cold engine) at the inside of the passenger side tank for the cold level stamping marking on a factory Harrison radiator. If the fluid is above this line you will run the risk of it puking out more until it drops below the line.

If it didn't puke it out it is leaking someplace. Look for greenish stains on the driveway and on the garage floor. Check all the hose connections and don't forget the passenger floor for a heater core leak. Also look at the water pump for signs it is leaking.

If you have an obvious external coolant leak you may have one in the jacket of the block but you would notice whitish smoke and poor performance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 15, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Rad Fluid Level

The radiator over flow tank wasn't installed until 1973. As such your first gen Camaro doesn't have a recovery system that sucks back into the radiator the puked overheated coolant. If you want to add that additional two inches of coolant you will need to add a coolant recovery tank. Additionally, you will need to change the radiator pressure cap to a two way valved pressure cap from Stant (if you have changed it in the past it probably is a two way now, since that is all that is sold currently at your corner auto parts store).

The hard part is finding an original looking plastic over flow tank. The factory used specific tanks to match specific car models (one off a pick-up or a second generation Camaro won't fit very well). Luckily Chevrolet continued the first gen Camaro through 1979 in the Nova line. To extend the capital investment for tooling up the Camaro the Nova used the same front sub frame and about 80% of the parts first used on the Camaro though 1974, and about 50% of the parts through 1979. So even though the radiator core support is different for the Camaro (the Nova never had a RS with hideaway head light doors, nor mathched the Camaro's lower hood line) the overflow tank that bolts to the Nova's 14 inch wheel inner fender is what you are looking for.

Larger Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode