Push rod lenght - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 05, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I somebody hade to run into this I have a 383 with AFR heads 1.6 comp magnum roller rockers and hydraulic lifters 195 heads what length pushrod are you using.Went to speed shop brought the preform checker the one that slides over the head stud and the you measure the gap, came up with .020 did not like that did not seem right because it looked to me like I would need it longer because they are 1.6.I just order the Jegs adjustable checking push rods but I no some one has ran in to this what rod did you use?I will also call AFR later just did not what to wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 05, 03:15 AM

Smile

Ratio doesn't have anything to do with P/R length.

Get what the checker tells you that you need OR if below .050" and it appears that you have a decent centering of the rocker tip on the valve tip by marking and checking it, then just run what you have.

I wouldn't think .020" off is all that critical BUT I am not an expert here! Maybe one of the more experienced guys will chime in here??

AND as always get the manufacturer's advice/recommendation..

pdq67

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 05, 04:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Fred,, you got my attention as I have some AFR 195 heads on the way. I will be installing them with the current pushrods I now have with my comp retro hyd roller set up. I do know that they are shorter due to the retro rollers being longer than regular rollers. So you got my attention on this issue. I will be doing as you are doing , locating correct valve tip contact. I am using the Comp 1.5 lifter with a .550 cam so I dont need additonal lift at this point..

dd 2 cents

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

One problem I found out is that I have the wrong rocker arms I have self adjusting and they should be regular 3/8 I am sending them back and getting the right ones but even with the preform rocker checker it said I need a longer push rod(.020) but I will check again when the new rockers come in or my push rod checker from jegs come in?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 05, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I'm confused. Your waiting for a "pushrod checker" from Jegs, and you have a Proform one.

Are you measuring this with or without an adjustable pushrod?

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 05, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK lets see the preform pushrod checker looks like a rocker arm that goes on the 3/8 screw in stud,you put the push rod in and measure the gap with a filler gauge.I came up with .020 gap.the push rod checkers I order from jegs are two push rods that ajust in lenght after you use your rocker arms to ajust to the correct height.I have them now just have not have the time to use them.Waiting on the right rocker arms to come back so I can get the correct height dont want to do this but once and get it right.I did like the preform checker but it could have been right on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode