Battery question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 03, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Periodically in the past. Whenever I left my car sitting for more than a few days, everytime I came back and tried to start it up, I always found the battery was dead. Each time I would check to see if I had left anything on by mistake that would be the cause of this, but each time I did this I found nothing. This problem only seems to occur in the 68 Camaro. What could be the cause of this?

[ 09-15-2003, 04:16 AM: Message edited by: garfield ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 03, 05:04 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I have the same problem with my '68. The solution for me was to disconnect the battery positive cable after each outing with the car. After looking for possible sources of current drain I found numerous problems in my wiring harnesses- loose connections, cut wires that were not capped off, missing parts of harnesses etc.

To make a long story short I am already in the process of replacing evey harness in the car. Hopefully this will cure any of the current drain so I can leave the battery connected!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 03, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
Zach

i usually drive my 69 about once every few days, sometimes it will sit for about a week or so. i've gone through a few batteries and finally i just started leaving the trickle charger on the car every time i pull back into the garage. i know my stereo has a very slight usage for keeping station presets and i have an instrument panel mounted clock too. my electrical system is all in good working order, i think the battery just doesn't like to sit long without being recharged.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 03, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech

These were on sale the other day for $9.95

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44768

It won't charge a battery, but it helps keep one up.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 03, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Here is a good way to actually locate the problem and fix it. Get a test light, disconnect your positive cable and hold the test light between the cable and battery. If there is any drain (which there has to be for the battery to die in a couple days), the light will come on. Have a friend help you and start pulling one fuse at a time until the light goes off (test light). Once you find the circuit with the problem you can repair it. My car can sit for weeks and the battery doesn't go dead. I have seen bad flashers cause this problem, also "disconnected" dome lights (thought to be disconnected but actually were shorting). It might take a little time to find the problem but, it will be worth the effort. Yes, stereo memory does require some current (very very little), if you have a cd changer, some of them use a bit of power if you leave the magazine installed.

Make sure you battery is holding a full charge to start with and that your charging system is doing it's job (car running you should have at least 14.4 volts). Fully charged battery should be around 12.5 - 13.0 volts. Make sure you have a good clean ground, from the battery to the frame or engine and from the engine to the frame. Most people overlook the ground as a problem. Just say to yourself "electrical problems are fun", LOL. They really aren't that bad, just be patient.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 03, 01:50 AM
Senior Tech

sounds like a bad voltage regulator or possibly dead battery cells imo.you can have your battery and alternator checked for free at any autozone or advance auto parts.older chevys usually have an external voltage regulator,so if its not your battery or alternator causing the problem suspect that.
baking soda amd water solution applied with a small wire brush and rinsed lwih the solution when clean,will clean the battery terminals and ground points nicely.a coat of spray "high tack"will prevent corrosion from returning for quite some time.
Good Luck!
Eric
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 03, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by jimfulco:
These were on sale the other day for $9.95

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44768

It won't charge a battery, but it helps keep one up.
Where can these be found? Do they really work?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 03, 04:03 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

For just over $16 you can go to your local Wal Mart and buy a "battery tender". It will keep the battery charged and maintained, it will also charge a very low battery (take a little time). I would suggest that over the one mentioned above. I use two of the Wal Mart type for my boat batteries, they work great and turn on and off automatically to keep the battery at full charge without over charging.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 03, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

THANKS!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 03, 03:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

you would be suprised how many people wire their electric choke directly to +12 battery. a sure way to dischare a battery in days!

joe c

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode