4.3 liter ? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

i have recently found a camaro within my price rang. i just need a motor...is it possible to throw a 4.3 liter v6 from a 92 chevy van into a 70 camaro? HAHA any help or coments would help....thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 04:50 PM

well i am sure that it can be done but it will take some work i am not sure if they have a kit for converting it or not. I wouldnt think that they would but they may. If not you will have to do some custom work, and much more.

Also do u have the van already?
And what engine was in the camaro?

<a href="http://slowdeath6.tripod.com/camaro/" target="_blank">http://slowdeath6.tripod.com/camaro/</a><br /><br /><br />1989 Camaro RS 305 5-speed
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Yes, it's possible. Not difficult, either.

There are quite a few non-smog performance parts for that motor, so you could use a 500CFM Carter/Edelbrock carb and do away with the computer. You could make some decent power and still get good gas miliage.

This would be an OK deal if you already have the 4.3. If you don't, a 350 might be cheaper.

What are your goals for this swap?

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Yeah my mom is gunna give me her 92 chevy van. so its free. I need to do alot of work to it but im mainly worried about the motor trannie part of the car
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 02:03 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
Speed-o-motive makes a stroked 4.3 that puts out 300 some odd horsepower.

Maybe some day you could upgrade...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 03, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Well shoot man, im not even sure how to go about taking trannie, and motor out of a chevy van. popin it into a 70 camaro. let alone trying to upgrade. lol
you know really quick on a scale of 1 to 10 ten being the hardest ...how hard is this project? should i just pay for someone to do it?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 03, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech

Many years ago when I splattered a 307 in my '69 chevy truck, and was looking for a quick and easy swap to get it back on the road, I had found a low mileage 4.3 out of a late '80's 1/2 ton truck. I remember talking it over with the salvage yard guy and he said it would be a lot of work. The V6 is about 4.4" shorter than a V8...and it seems like the motor mounts had to be moved back towards the firewall to get it to bolt up. Obviously that will mean fabricating a set of mounts. Of course, you will have to build/modify the exhaust system, and there will be a lot of little things like radiator hoses and such that will need to be changed. The quickest, easiest solution is to find another V8...305's are a dime a dozen around here just because there is no demand for them. Check with some local bone yards or the local papers. Wrecked cars are usually a good place to find an engine because it was probably running when it was wrecked!

"This is not a cheerocracy...I make the cheercisions around here"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 02:03 AM

Unhappy

As bad as I hate to tell you this, because if the 4.3 motor is in an old Astro Van, the sucker is supposed to come out the bottom UNLESS you want to totally take the frontend or what there is of it completely off!!

It isn't like taking the "dog house" off the old early Box Vans and lifting it's shortblock out the side door using a 2x4 stud and short length of chain and then using a long-reach cherry-picker to put the long block back in..

And even then, the motor is still supposed to come out the bottom on the Box Vans b/c the doghouse is spot welded down in about a zillion spots!!!

pdq67

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 06:46 AM

Sell the van and take whatever money you get out of it to buy a V-8.

Robb
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

....damn....so your telling me taking he motor out is not even worth it?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 03, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Robbm, has the best answer. For the trouble and money you could easily have a decent V8. Sell the van or find someone to trade it to. Does the Camaro have any of the running gear? Meaning is the motor bad or missing? If the motor and trans are out of the car, you will have to think about things like brackets, mounts, accesories. You really need to do some home work before you make any plans. On a scal of 1-10 for a first timer it is a 15. That is not the kind of job a beginer should even think about tackling, there are just too many places to make mistakes or to get in over your head and not even want to bother finishing. Then you will end up with a hacked up mini van that won't be worth anything and a Camaro in the same condition. You did the right thing by coming here to get some advice. Just make sure you take the advice you get into consideration. Find a local shop or guy that knows his stuff and see if he will let you trade the mini van for an engine and install. As mentioned above 305's are a dime a dozen and 350's really aren't that much more.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 03, 03:14 AM
Senior Tech
John

I'd say leave the engine in the van, use that as your daily driver so that while the Camaro is apart you have a driveable car (to get to and from work so you can pay for Camaro parts).
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 03, 05:37 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I rebuilt my Astro with heads from an older 3.8 (before vortecs were available) and Chevy makes a roller cam that specs out to the same as the old L79. It wasn't worth squat on the computer, but it would burn the hides off of that 4000 pound van for as long as I stayed in it. Still, when you consider how tough it was to drop the subassembly, it might be better to go V8. HTH

Gary Adrian
FCS Harmony Racing

Momma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
"But momma, that's where the fun is!"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 03, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

so your saying it might be worth it putting it in a camaro?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 03, 06:49 AM

Smile

MyBoTy said it right b/c even though the 4.3 is a very good six, it IS A REAL HASSLE getting it out of the Van.

If the little bugger was already laying on the ground at a shop or salvage yard I would say go for it BUT I sure wouldn't want to even think about pulling it out of a Van..

I guess if I had a tall enough tree so that I could undo the front engine ***'y mounting S/F, then fasten a long chain to both ends of the front bumper and pull her straight up until she was standing up on her back bumper while pulling the S/F and engine/trans. ***'y out, I would do it????

Either that or a modern, four body side point, muffler shop, four post, open centered lift to raise the Van up off all four wheels high enough until the S/F cradle could slide out??

For the life of me, I don't see why GM didn't put it in the Carmaro in the first place???? But what do I know.....

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode