Help with BB pulley system - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Help with BB pulley system

Can anyone explain to me why the short water pump v groove crank pulley and water pump pulley are available with all v groves being equal diameter and the long water pump pulleys are staggered diameter? I like the equal diameter look and want to keep it. I cant understand the spacing of the pumps from the block need to change the pulley ratio. I am converting to P/S on my BB and need to move my alternator to the Pass side and go long water pump. Cant fit P/S under alternator on drivers side. If money wasnt an issue I'd buy the March setup. Thanks

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 09:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: Help with BB pulley system

Pulley diameters varied with options. Crankshaft and water pump pulley diameters were different between A/C and non A/C cars. A/C cars had larger diameter crank shaft pulleys and smaller diameter water pump pulleys to spin the water pump faster in order to promote better cooling. Non A/C cars had a smaller diameter crank shaft pulley and a larger diameter water pump pulley. You could mix and match pulleys if you choose to promote a more uniform look, but it is difficult to say what effect if any, it will have on cooling.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Help with BB pulley system

The aftermarket offers many different pulleys. Make sure you go with the "Big Block with Long water pump". You may have to go with Non-stock length belts etc. Summit has many different pulleys.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thanks guys..it seems like nothing I ever do on my car is easy. I want to put power steering on my BB Camaro. Currently it has a short water pump, 3 v groove crank pulley and 2 grove water pump pullet. Everyone said that I have to move the alternator from the drivers side to the passenger side and go with a long water pump. Well I just got off the phone with my buddy (who moved to Florida) and told me his 68 454 short water pump has the alternator and p/s pump on the same side no problem. He cant be sure what bracket he used to mount the ps pump. It may have been his old 68 Camaro small block brackets. Another call to summit and they told me that I couldn't have ith pump and the alt on the drivers side. If my buddy did it, and I have pictures, what gives? Does anyone have any experience with this? I'll try to post pics if needed. Thanks!

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 02:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

67 and 68 Camaro's had the alternator AND the power steering pump mounted on the driver's side of the engine for both small block and big block. Both applications used short water pumps. You DO NOT need to swap over to a long water pump set up to install power steering in your car. The brackets that you need to mount the power steering pump are available from any of the parts places out there.

12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Heres his 68 BB short water pump with both alt and ps on the drivers side. This is what I would rather do. Does anyone know what ps bracket to use for this setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dennis bb.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	115497  

Gary

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Matt...thanks for the info. I was incorrectly informed by many. So if I buy a BB SWP power steering bracket it should line up? Summit told me no...

Gary

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 02:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

You need stock power steering brackets for a 67-68 Camaro with a big block. They are available as reproductions. Eckler's, Classic Industry's, Camaro Central, Heart Beat City, all sell the brackets that you need for your install.

12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 02:55 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Here are a set of power steering brackets for a 67-68 Big Block Camaro. http://www.camarocentral.com/product_p/pow-12.htm. Here is the hardware for the power steering brackets. http://www.camarocentral.com/1967_19...s_p/pow-13.htm
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thanks guys! Just got off the phone with Summit tech. I can use the factory type ps bracket but my billet alternator bracket below has gotta go cause the cap of the can wont clear it. Oh well I can live with that. Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	468.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	115505  

Gary

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 15, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thanks again guys..I received my parts needed to mount on the drivers side and all worked out. I didn't have to change out my billet alternator brackets either, which makes me happy. Now I need to return brackets, pumps and pulleys that I wont need. Thanks again

Gary

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 06:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Good deal Gary. I'm glad you got everything to work as planned. Enjoy.

12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

The C3 Corvette used a short water pump for a number of years after 1969 (can't remember when the C4 came out) when the rest of the fleet switched over to the long style. You could use the deep V pulleys and brackets for the 1965 and up to 1974 Corvette (last year for the BBC in any car) as a source of parts. They are offered as reproduction parts.

Big Dave
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

For anyone reading this thread in the future, Rockauto has the cradle and bracket for a 67-68 BBC for $59 (Rockauto.com)

GOODMARK Part # GMK4020289673S

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode