Taming down from a more radical camshaft?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

I bought a 327 that has too wild of a cam. I am planning on going to a milder cam and new lifters.

My concern is this: I would rather not change the valve springs. If I choose not to replace the valve spings, am I going to be ok? (About 25k miles on the old springs)

This is not a high performance or a show car.

Thanks a ton for any advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 05:30 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

What cam and springs do you have in it now? Compression ratio, trans, gear ratio, cylinder heads and carb would be good to know also.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

This is a big problem because I don't know much about this 327. Transmission is a TH-350 and the heads are stock. Sorry for the lack in info.

I just want to get rid of the wild idle. I am hoping using Comps Cam @.50 in-212, ex-218 part # (CL122382)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 12:58 PM

Suggest you pull a spring with the heads on and have a shop pressure check and measure it with a good set of dial calipers. Then you will know what you have and if it will be OK to run with the cam you are thinking about.

I say this b/c some solid cams, (if it is a solid), run fairly aggressive springs, (which is what they need), that may callapse hydraulic lifters! pdq67

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 02, 01:56 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I'd suggest pulling the cam and heads if you are really serious. Then you can look at what pistons you have (to figure out the compression ratio) and install a new cam, lifters and springs all at once. then there's no more guesswork.

You can jack the rear end up, rotate the wheels in neutral, and count drive shaft revolutions to figure out the rear end gear ratio. You can also brake torque the car and read the tach to see what RPM the stall converter is.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I agree. Since the engine (327) is on an engine stand, I figured I would take off the heads and start from scratch to eliminate guesswork. I am buying a Comp cam kit that provides spinds, cam timing chain lifters etc.

The pistons have this stamped on top:
l2166N
Anyone know what this means?
Can I determine the compression ratio from these numbers?

Thanks a ton!

[This message has been edited by Sgrouse (edited 09-07-2002).]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
Are they TRW pistons? It looks like a TRW part number
I looked up that on summitracing.com using a TRW number it comes up as being a .040 overbore piston for a 3.25" stroke (327) and 5.7" rod.
It says this piston has a .125" dome
With 64cc chambers it'll have up to 10.35:1 compression (depending on deck height)
With 68cc chambers 9.87:1
with 72cc chambers 9.43:1
with 76cc chambers 9.03:1
This all depends on deck height and compressed head gasket thickness.
If you pull the heads when changin cams check your deck height. with a dial indicator stand and dial indicator. How far the flat part of the piston is in the hole at TDC is your Deck height.

[This message has been edited by CamaroNOTcamero (edited 09-07-2002).]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Camaronotcamero,
You are the man, thanks a lot! This is a big help.

Looking through the engine with the oilpan off, on the back of the pistons it reads:

AO
013-99

Do they date stamp pistion. Seems doubtful but I thought I'd ask. Do you know what this is?

[This message has been edited by Sgrouse (edited 09-07-2002).]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech

I dont know about that one, but i'm glad i could be of assistance with the other numbers.
Good eye with the numbers, it would be up in the air otherwise.
What are the numbers on your cylinder heads, maybe we can find out what size chmabers it has.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 02, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech

BTW since its an aftermarket cam shaft it should have a part number on it, we can see which company's number it looks like and go from there and possibly find out what cam is in there (might not be as big as you think).
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 02, 04:50 AM

CNC's right.

Post any numbers/markings on it's ends and we will see what turns up??

Heck, I have a stack of old cat's myself and may be able to find it listed somewhere... pdq67

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 02, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Yes casting numbers off the heads would be next IMO.

If you have a small dome piston like CNC says, you don't want to go too small on the cam or you might have pinging problems. 10.3:1 is pushing it a tad with pump gas and 64cc iron heads. You kind of need a larger cam to bleed off a little cylinder pressure.

You may be able to use the Comp XE268. This would still have a little bit of an idle but would make good power and should be real steetable. Specs are: advertised duration 268*I/280*E, duration @ .050" lift 224*I/230*E, lift .477"I/.480"E, lobe separation 110*.

This combo should make about 300 HP at 5000 rpm with a nice smooth torque curve from 2000 rpm up. Idle will be a little sporty but it should still be fairly well mannered. I assumed you had GM 441 casting heads with 1.94"I / 1.50"E valves.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 02, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

The casting number on my heads is :33382 which I think is a 1974 - 1980 76cc heads

Block is 3782878 which I believe is 1962 - 1967 327.

Any input on cam selection would be greatly appreciated. This seems to be quite a complicated decision. Damn!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

As suggested, I did pull the cam too. The numbers on the cam are: Comp Cam 292H.

Looks like a Mangnum cam. Thanks foe any ideas on my set-up.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 02, 02:20 PM

With stock heads you need a dual pattern. I dont know what you mean by a calmer idle but as eric suggests the xe268 would be good but the xe274 would be the next step up and could be a good idea imo. You arent going to run into any compression issue with 76cc and maybe if you dont mind setting valve last once every blue moon the 282S or maybe the 270S or a crower grind. Maybe the summit/ crane powermax grind that is a spilt 224 and I think 234 @.05. That would work very well and is a better idea than the before mentioned comp XE grinds. Im not a fan of the XE grinds, they are loud and durability maybe a concern in the long haul. plus that summit comes with lifters lube and cam for 71 bucks and you could get into some K-motion springs for 42 and 65 for the retainers. My vote is for the summit grind and yes your 292 must have a bad *** idle!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode