Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
Iron pipe plug frozen in Aluminum intake

I've tried penetrating oil, brute force, etc....

Not budging a single bit

Thoughts?

I am hesitant to put heat on the aluminum intake (even thought it is off the car)...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 06:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage
Re: Iron pipe plug frozen in Aluminum intake

Good luck bro. Just had the same problem trying to get a stainless steel ball out of an aluminum drop hitch for my jeep. Tried everything and when all else failed, had that damned thing cherry red from torching it - was not letting it beat me even if I had to throw it away from heat damage........Pfft. It won! Iron might be different and you might get luckier than me.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 06:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Are you wanting to use that threaded hole for something else? Any reason you can't just leave it in there?

Heating it cherry red really isn't a good option in this case.

Assuming it is a factory plug with the 3/8 square drive. Correct?

Lynn

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967

It is a 1/2" square plug--the square part is not recessed (it sticks up)....No reason I cannot leave it, but want the option to use that location for a temp sender maybe.

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Propane torch and penetrant. Heat/cool a few times then heat and try to remove it. Don't be afraid to let it sit for a few days.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 07:40 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I was also going to say PB Blaster bath for a few days then heat and cold from a cold source such as a dust off can on the plug area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Get the plug hot with a propane or acetylene torch and then press a candle at the base of the plug and aluminum manifold. The wax will seep into the threads and it should come out.

Good Luck
Mike
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 15, 08:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I would try Kroil penetrating oil....that stuff is the best. I can't tell you how many times this stuff got me out of a jam. much better that PB blaster, Liquid wrench, wd40.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 15, 12:09 AM
Senior Tech
alex

AERO KROIL is probably the best penetrant but that wont work either .
The only way to get hat out without wrecking anything is you have to shell it out. If it is accessible drill a 3/8ths hole right through the center of it . Then with a tree shaped carbide burr mounted in an air driven rotary grinder go back and forth from side to side up and down the whole length of the plug . Keep removing stock when its thin enough you can collapse it with a small cape chisel or a quarter inch pin punch ground at the bottom diagonal like this / more at a 45*degrees. Use the sharp side to collapse it . Works every time. then run an appropriate size pipe plug through to clean the threads and your all set . I have done this hundreds of times in 45 years works on cars trucks plumbing house boilers industrial boilers etc etc anything with pipe threads . Alex
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 15, 03:34 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I agree, heat it up, spray some PB or Kroil on it, and let it cool. May have to repeat a few times....and if all else fails, drill and re-tap.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 15, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I believe metal expands when heated. that being said I have always heated the metal surrounding the part I want to remove
this is just my experience. yours may vary
Example - Expansion of an Aluminum beam

An aluminum construction is designed for temperatures ranging -30oC to 50oC. If a beam's length is 6 m when assembled at 20oC - the shortest length of the beam at minimum temperature -30oC can be calculated as

dl = (6 m) + (6 m) (0.000023 m/moC) ((-30 oC) - (20 oC))

= 5.993 (m)

The longest length of the beam at maximum temperature 50oC can be calculated as

dl = (6 m) + (6 m) (0.000023 m/moC) ((50 oC) - (20 oC))

= 6.004 (m)
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 15, 06:25 AM
John

Garage

If it off the car how are you holding it down to be able to get leverage when trying to remove the plug?

Have you tried an impact wrench?

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 15, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
If it off the car how are you holding it down to be able to get leverage when trying to remove the plug?

Have you tried an impact wrench?
X2, that was my thought as well, use an impact and some penatrating oil.
You would be surprised how many lil whacks from an impact will overcome you trying to use brute force.

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 15, 07:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelknots View Post
I would try Kroil penetrating oil....that stuff is the best. I can't tell you how many times this stuff got me out of a jam. much better that PB blaster, Liquid wrench, wd40.

Give it a shot of Kroil every day for a week...Kroil penetrates gaps down to 2 microns.

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 15, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I'd come up with a socket that will work on the square male fitting that interfaces with a 1/2" impact gun. Then I would carefully heat the intake manifold around the plug to expand it and hit it with Aerokroil penetrating fluid or a transmission fluid and acetone or diesel fuel 50/50 mix to aid in the penetrating fluid getting in between the threads. I'd repeat this a few times initially and then after a few treatments and following the most recent treatment while still hot and lubricated try backing it out with the impact gun and socket. If it doesn't start to turn, give it a few more treatments and try again. Once it does start to turn, don't try to turn it out all at the same time. Re-lubricate it and turn it in a bit, then back out a bit more and so on while keeping it well lubricated. With patience and care there is a good chance you can successfully remove it.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode