Starter Grind and getting stuck - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 03, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I am in the finishing process of putting my car back together and have been having Starter issues. The Mini HiTorque starter keeps locking in the engage position on the flywheel. I have tried shimming it out with no change. Then I shimmed it too far and the starter spun against the flywheel. I have the smaller flywheel that now has alot of wear spots and chipping.

2 questions

1 - what was the cause of the starter's bendix gear getting stuck? When the gear pops out it rotates as it comes out. Is this normal.

2 - Thinking that I am going to replace the starter and flywheel. Any recommendations on products.. also how difficult is this to accomplish with the engine stil in the car? Should the torque converter slide back far enough to reach the bolts on the flywheel?

Would love to finally get this thing on the road.

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
J

You have to play some more with the shims. It might take more than a few combination attempts to get it right.

If I remember correctly, putting shims on the outside bolt moves the starter down and toward the flywheel. Putting shims on the inner bolt moves it away from the flywheel. If the gear is getting stuck it must need to move away.

Autozone used to have a little rod that came with replacement starters to help determine how many/where shims were needed. Basically with the starter bolted up the rod should just fit between the flywheel and starter gear. I should still have one at home and could measure the diameter for you when I get home.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Angry

Thanks magisnyc. Last night we tried one more starter (5th one!) after specifing this time that we needed one for the 153 tooth flywheel. Wound up with an AutoZone High Perf model for the 350 and it was the perfect fit. That rod tool was a great help, as was the thought of adding shims just to one side, just like you suggested. Great tip. Thanks so much for your help. Now hopefully I'll get this thing on the road after a year long rebuild. Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 03, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Don't know if this will help, but I had a &*[email protected]# of a time with a stock starter. I shimmed it so far that it wouldn't touch the ring gear (flex plate). Absolutely couldn't get anything right. I even broke several starter housings trying to figure it out. Went back to my parts store again. One of the older guys told me that if I machine down the mounting surface of the starter it might do some some good. I took about 0.060 of the surface. It worked like a charm and haven't had a problem since. Had to do with newer starter housings or something like that. Check it out real good before you start grinding on that mini. Rhat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode