fortes crossmember - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 02, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

is any one using or know if fortes got thier crossmember figured out? does anybody have a pic of the new one they have out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 02, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech

I have the new fortes design crossmember. fit in perfectly, had zero problems, would buy it again, no question. sorry though, not set up for pics. may be soon.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 02, 01:46 PM
Tech Team

if you have a third gen sphoon makes a real slick piece that relocates the torque arm to their crossmember.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 02, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I would be very interested in a picture of the new crossmember. The first one is a POS.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech

How can you tell if you have the "new" one, or the old one? I bought my trans from there just before last Thanksgiving, not sure which one I have. It is a flat stock piece that is bent, powder coated, pretty beefy material (I'd say 5/16" thick). There is a small piece welded onto it by the trans mount, though I don't think it offers much in the way of support. It fit really well. I thought I would have an issue with flexure in the car, but it doesn't seem to be too bad so far. I just figured I'd use it until I could weld in a piece like Kyle did on the Twister, but I am not sure I need it. No time either!

Anyone who has this piece ever measure the pinion angle? I am using a Energy Suspension poly trans mount, but I have not measured this and am suspicious that it may not be "optimal." I was reading a post regarding vibration, and was wondering if this may be part of what I am seeing on my ride.

Mark

------------------
69 SS, ZZ430 Look-alike, Tremec TKO, Hotchkis Suspension
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

That sounds like the same part. It is weaker in bending than a piece 1" diameter electrical conduit. Try putting it between some 4x4's and jumping on it.

For the amount of effort it takes to fabricate, and the peace of mind that comes with it, the TH400 mount is a much better option IMO.

------------------
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Carl, I bought the 2nd gen crossmember from Forte's. It is made of the same plate material, but is a slightly different shape. It is thicker front to back than the original. Additionally, it has a 1/4" thick x 1/2" tall x 4" to 6" rib welded to the rear edge in the flat area in the center.

The rib makes the crossmember much more rigid. I had 1/2" to 3/4" of deflection on the original design Forte's crossmember when I put the weight of the tranny on it. There was no deflection with the new one.

I have watched the shift handle in various acceleration and deceleration situations and don't think that the crossmember is deflecting much if any. The handle does not appear to rise or fall any, although it does move forward and aft.

Also have to add - the old version wouldn't fit properly and the new version does.

------------------
Pearl blue & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 6/10/02 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 08-29-2002).]
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like I have the same one gheatly has, and I agree, I don't see vertical movement of the shifter handle either. I think it is more rigid when bolted into the car than it would be lying on the ground because the ends are constrained by the frame. I have subframe connectors too, that probably doesn't hurt.

Gene: Do you get any vibrations through your car at various RPM's? Ever check the pinion angle?

Mark

------------------
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Sounds like he fixed it. It may not look like much but that extra piece adds a LOT to the bending strength.

Even bolted in I could shake the tailshaft of the trans on the original flat-stock only part quite a bit.

Another way to look at this is to check the original GM part. They are significantly stronger than what Forte's is offering. However, the Forte's part is less expensive to make. I cornered Mike on these issues. His statement, after his fabricator sent him the first production part (mine) was "it looked strong enough." That's not a good way to judge a part.

------------------
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 02:57 PM
Senior Tech

So you were the guinea pig, eh Carl? I'm sure the piece now is not optimal, but it will work. I have alot of other things to attend to in getting the car reliably road-worthy, so I'm leaving it for now.

By the way, I saw you and the car in the Camaro magazine, along with the tire and cornering test. Pretty cool, how does it feel to be a celebrity!?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Thanks.

I'm tring to squeeze in the WCA next week. You going?

------------------
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 02, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Mark,

I have not really run the car very fast. My tires are 4-5 years old, but only have maybe 5,000 miles on them. The car sat with these tires for 3 years while it was being painted and put back togehter. I start getting a vibration between 70 and 75 MPH. I suspect it's the tires. I have not checked the pinion angle yet.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 02, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech

Carl: Do you mean the Willow Springs event, the vintage race? I doubt I'll be doing much else this weekend other than working around the house, but am going to try to make this if possible. It's about a four hour drive, not so sure the sweetie is too interested, or that I could handle lsitening to the kids say "are we there yet???" I might go myself, we'll see. By the way, I checked out your website, it is updated. Lokks pretty cool. I plan to get mine up soon, another one of those things I don't have enough time to do.

Gene: Doesn't sound like you have an issue like mine. It is actually not that bad, but I get some resonance vibrations as a function of RPM. I doubt it is a pinion angle thing, I'll get around to checking it at some point, but I don't have too much time to do anything about it at this point anyway. If I need to, I'll fix it when I rebuild the differential later this year/early next year.

I had been chasing an oil leak for a while, thought it was the dipstick, fixed that, then thought the front seal between the oil pan and timing cover was bad, fixed that. took the car out for a blast last night, still had the darn leak. Cause? Brand new Edlebrock fuel pump, the screws that hold the thing together were barely hand tight. How frustrating. At least it is an easy fix. Never ends!

Mark

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode