carb compatibility with Performer Air Gap BBC? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 15, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

carb compatibility with Performer Air Gap BBC?

Just about ready to select a carb for my 427 BBC that has the Edelbrock Performer Air Gap manifold on it. I can get a "used once" Edelbrock Performer 1411 carburetor real cheap here. I looked it up on Edelbrock's site and it said "not recommended" for use with Air Gap manifolds. I'm trying to figure out why this would be. Otherwise I'm inclined to believe this is a good carburetor. Should I go ahead and try it anyway...what should I be watching out for?

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 15, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: carb compatibility with Performer Air Gap BBC?

I cant answer your ?, but in this area MOST, not all run holley
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 15, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Agree with you as when I'm not running a Quad then I run Holleys. Just the thought of trying this Performer 1411 at half price is appealing and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it or not....

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 15, 10:37 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I believe the 1411 is calibrated 2% leaner for economy due to the electric choke. The manual choke #1407 is calibrated for performance. Could you use the 1411 ?? Probably, you may or may not be happy with the performance??

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 15, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
I believe the 1411 is calibrated 2% leaner for economy due to the electric choke. The manual choke #1407 is calibrated for performance. Could you use the 1411 ?? Probably, you may or may not be happy with the performance??
I've got a spare CARTER AFB 9755S 750 CFM that I could try, it's probably a lot richer in calibration which is what's needed at times?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 15, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

The Carter/Edelbrock uses a different bolt pattern than the Holley. I don't remember if the intake is a dual pattern or not (I have one out in the barn in a plastic bag to keep the mud daubers off of it, but it is also 96 degrees in the shade with a feels like of 107 so I'm not going outside again today). If it isn't a dual pattern that implies running an adapter which raises the carb even higher. You are already two inches taller than a SBC with a BBC under the hood, and the RPM Air Gap manifold is three quarters of an inch higher than the Chevy Winters high rise manifold. So even with a two inch dropped base air cleaner (the Z/28 Corvette dropped base air cleaners only fit a Holley 4150 carb) you are going to be running out of hood clearance.

Big Dave
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 15, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
The Carter/Edelbrock uses a different bolt pattern than the Holley. I don't remember if the intake is a dual pattern or not (I have one out in the barn in a plastic bag to keep the mud daubers off of it, but it is also 96 degrees in the shade with a feels like of 107 so I'm not going outside again today). If it isn't a dual pattern that implies running an adapter which raises the carb even higher. You are already two inches taller than a SBC with a BBC under the hood, and the RPM Air Gap manifold is three quarters of an inch higher than the Chevy Winters high rise manifold. So even with a two inch dropped base air cleaner (the Z/28 Corvette dropped base air cleaners only fit a Holley 4150 carb) you are going to be running out of hood clearance.

Big Dave
Yes, Big Dave, I had thought of that. I'm lucky enough to have the cowl hood so it's got a couple of inches more clearance than stock. The Air Gap manifold is dual pattern so the Carter fits right on there. I had the Carter 750 running on a 350 so it's a smooth runner, so it might be good for the big block. I talked to the machine shop and they said just go by CFM size and 750 is right for my BBC. But wondering how I could get an Edelbrock 1411 to work smoothly with this Air Gap as Edelbrock says "not recommended". As Donny said it seems the 1411 runs 2% leaner than a 1407. With my high compression of 10.7:1 the leaner the carb is the more chance of detonation?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 15, 08:22 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

Run a Holley 4150 vacuum secondary like gm did, the 3310-1 is 780 cfm and has down leg boosters, bolt it on and never look back. I have a fresh one if you are interested, as I am going with the 850 dp for the ZL-1 motor.

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 15, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

NOT RECOMMENDED means just that. Now you know why people that purchased the Performer RPM Air Gap are unhappy with them. Doesn't matter which carburetor you have when it gets cold they have problems running. If that 427 is built anything like the factory 427/425 it most likely would perform best with a 950 Holley. A 750 carb is for a 383 ci. or well built 350.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 15, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdminter55 View Post
NOT RECOMMENDED means just that. Now you know why people that purchased the Performer RPM Air Gap are unhappy with them. Doesn't matter which carburetor you have when it gets cold they have problems running. If that 427 is built anything like the factory 427/425 it most likely would perform best with a 950 Holley. A 750 carb is for a 383 ci. or well built 350.
Good thing I haven't bolted it down yet.... what's your recommendation for a manifold for my motor? 10.7 comp, Performer hi-lift hydraulic cam, big valve oval port heads, mild ported/polished.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 15, 06:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

Is this engine for street. What RPM do you anticipate running? For this IMHO Holley, Weiand, even Edelbrock dual plane. I am running a Weiand Stealth on a modified 396 BBC, 60 over, rectangle port heads, 11.1 + compression. Summit, Jegs can point you in a great direction. Also Holley carbs can be modified to accommodate for your needs.

68, SS, BB, M20 4 speed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 15, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

A 950 is not the answer, the 427 does not need the 1 3/4 baseplate on the 750 that they call the 950, btw, that flows about 830 cfm. When in doubt use what the gm engineers spent countless hours calibrating. Btw, most of the original Zl-1's actually were delivered with the vacuum secondary and then retrofitted with the 4296 850 dp with the distribution tabs. Use the stock jetting and go from there. You want the down leg boosts only found on the the 3310-1, the-2 and later use straight boosters and leave a lot on the table

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 15, 08:30 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I'm running a Holley 0-82750 - Holley 4150 Street HP Carb on a Performer RPM Air Gap and couldn't be happier. This is on my 396.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode