solid motor mounts - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

recently i have installed solid motor mounts but have been having a problem with loose fasteners. now i want to change one motor mount with the orig. rubber and the other solid. i thought that the solid should go on the drivers side but my friend says it goes on the passenger side. seems like a simple thing so i just want to check to be sure.
thx for your help.

1969 camaro convertible, sm blk 350 trick flow heads, m21 muncie, 3.73 rear. hugger orange with blacks stripes. 12.90 @ 107mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech

Huh
One solid mount is still going to transfer engine vibration.And I imagine the solid mount will eventually break from the engine flexing on the rubber mount.

If you want to use rubber mounts to get rid of vibration and don't want them to break, use some type of torque strap on the DRIVERS SIDE.

The drivers side is the side that "raises up" under accelleration.

There was a recall back in the day that would require the dealer to install a torque strap. Do a search and You might come up with a pic of it.

Bill
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 03, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile

Just install a set of Energy Suspension Poly mounts and call it "good enough".

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 03, 08:12 AM

Angry

Or just install bolts through your old broken rubber mounts before they came out with the clam-shell type like I did after pulling my too light turnbuckle and chain too much till the t/b broke!!

pdq67

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 03, 08:25 PM
David Pozzi

I used a solid left side mount with a balanced engine and it wasn't bad as far as vibration I felt. I DID have problems with fastners shaking loose, manily the engine mount brackets where they bolt to the frame. I had to double nut the bolts, even nylocks shook loose.
I vote for the Energy suspension mounts, I'm going to use them.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 03, 02:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

You'll still get vibes with the Energy Suspension mounts but I too recommend them. I'm slowly loctiting everything that comes loose!

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 03, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Another vote for the Energy Suspension mounts. I switched to them as soon as they came out (from solid). The vibration is way less. Just make sure you get the tranny mount as well.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech
SS

Moroso solids have always worked fine for me. SS

406, TKO 600 and 12 bolt posi.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Lightbulb

What ever you do, DON'T use a solid trans mount with solid engine mounts. That's a sure way to break a trans case or tail housing.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 08:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Jon, by solid do you also include the Energy Suspension poly tranny mount?

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

The poly mounts are NOT the same as solids.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

No, the Energy Suspension mounts are not the same as solid and are fine in any position. I generally only use them (or solid mount) on the left front though cause that's the one that takes all the strain. Stock mounts are usually fine for passenger side and trans mount. If you use a safety chain or cable from left front of engine to frame, and your stock rubber mount streches, the chain or cable can shock your subframe, sometimes enough to pull the left front wheel on high horsepower cars.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 03, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech

Your buddy is right!!! Put the solid on the passenger side!! It relieves the stress from the cylinders on the drivers side! It's an old Super Stock trick to keep the cylinder sealed!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode