Carb size - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm just wanting to get a few opinions.

I have a holley 600, holley 750, and a Q-jet. both holley's are vac secondaries, and the q-jet came with my 67 camaro.

Recently I upgrade to a 350. It has the l-79 hydrolic cam, .40 over, stock 291 heads w/valve and port work.

Just wondering if i should keep my q-jet on the car or go for the holley 600 or 750?

thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech

What trans? Convertor? 4spd? rear end ratio? I would keep the Q-jet if you an auto and tall gears but you can use the 600 (thats what they came with) if you have a 4spd. Personally I would use the Q-get no matter what especially with the price of gas being what it is.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 04, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
It matters on a few things, first is it a manual or automatice tranny? Second, which manifold is on the motor barring using a throat plate to change over carbs?
Whats the car going to be used for and approx how much hp are you looking to put out?

What is your preferance of carb types?

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 04, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

intake is an edelbrock perfromer 2101
all 3 carbs can fit on it no problem.

transmission muncie 4sp m20.

rear end 3.08 soon to be 3.73

The car is mostly a weekend driver. I'm more focused on hp not mpg.

I don't really have a preference on carb types I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth swapping either the holley onto the car.

-Jeff
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 04, 05:50 AM

The 350hp/327 motor with the great old L-79, (-151), hy- cam came stock with a 585 cfm Holley.

Your Q-jet is a 750 cfm one unless it came off one of the great big BOP or Cad. motors, then it could be an 800 cfm Q-Jet.

(E-brock now has the rights to them and sell 750, 795 and 850 cfm Q-Jets under their name).

The 600 you have is fine as is the 750 b/c being vacuum secondaried carb's, your motor will only be allowed to suck what it can use ..

IMHO, go the Q-Jet!!!!

pdq67

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 04, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

pdq67,

Just to clairify, I have the L-79 cam in a
350 bored .40 over, not a 327.

I'm leaning towared keep the q-jet, but I just wanted to hear some other opinions.

Thanks,

Jeff
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 04, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech

Any of the three would probably work. I like to avoid 750cfm square-bore carbs on a 350 motor. 750 is pushing the limit on flow and often will cause you bogging problems and other tunability issues. A 600 cfm carb is a good carb for a 350SB. Anyone who runs the 1/4 mile will tell you a 600 cfm is too small. I'm a street guy and like the dribability of a 600 cfm carb - and it still performs well. The Q-jet has the benefit of being a spread bore carb. It has smaller primary venturies which will make it run good on the street. And when you open it up, the secondaries can supply way more than air than the motor can use. It is the best of both worlds in my opinion. So I'd use the 600cfm holley or the Q-jet. Is your intake a spread bore or square bore design?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 04, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

its a spread bore design, but it will work w/sq bores.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I could make a good argument for any one of those three. They will all work.

If it was mine, The Q-jet would go on first, test it out then try the Holleys. If the performance with the Q-jet was on par with the Holleys, the Q-jet would go on. If the peformance was noticeably better with one of the Holley carbs, I would run that.

If it needed a lot of tuning, I would run the Holley.

-Mark.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 04, 08:09 AM

I was just saying that the 350hp/327, L-79 motor came stock with a 585 cfm Holley is all..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode