327 cutting out - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 15, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

327 cutting out

I took my 69 out for a drive this evening and the motor would act as if it was going to die occasionally. It didn't matter if I was going slow or fast it would start to die and I could tap the gas and it would take back off. It idles fine and runs smooth other than this problem. I have a 600 CFM Holley which I've had about 4 years and never has given any trouble and an 80 GPH Holley fuel pump which is less than a year old. Plugs were replaced about three years ago and a Summit inline fuel filter put in about a year ago. Stock points distributor which hasn't been touched since I bought the car 5 years ago. Plug wires haven't been changed either. Would appreciate any suggestions on where to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 15, 07:28 PM
Apprentice
mitchell

Re: 327 cutting out

do you have dwell meter to check the point gap?then check the timing,is this the first time you had it out this summer?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 15, 09:23 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 327 cutting out

You might want to change that fuel filter. It only takes one bad tank of gas to plug a filter, even if it is 2 day's old !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 15, 11:42 PM
Senior Tech
mike

I would check the points first as suggested. Also could not hurt to check the float levels.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 12:26 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Have you ever considered changing from points to electronic ignition. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...t/model/camaro or here is the points and condenser kit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sm...make/chevrolet. I would start with changing the points, condenser, rotor button, and cap. Plug wires and spark plugs. Also the fuel filter. If you still have a problem after tuning it up the carburetor will probably need a needle and seat. Just get a Holley rebuild kit and take the carburetor a part to clean it then start replacing needle and seat, power valve, pump diaphragm and gaskets.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 02:09 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

I ditched my points for an electronic conversion and it works great. In 2015, why waste any time messing with breaker points still?? I used a pertronix, but that Crane setup in the link above looks really good too. I like that it includes a rev limiter and plus its substantially less expen$ive than the pertronix

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks everyone for the info. This isn't the first time I've had it out, been driving it quite a bit on the weekends this summer but it's the first time it's acted up.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

another thought is you may have crud in the gas tank, clogging up the pickup or something. If you do the above suggestions and it still has problems, you may need to drop the tank and see if it needs cleaning

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 350 4 speed
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Yea today.s gas does not go much beyond a few months without any stabilizers. You can store the car for the winter with Av gas, it does not go bad.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm considering going with the Crane XR1. Should I also replace the coil?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 03:57 PM
William

This might sound like a dumb response but any chance your cables are loose on the battery. Certainly worth checking before you tear into other more complex possibilities. How do I know? Be there.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks brumbach. I had just put in a new battery but the cables are tight. Hadn't thought about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode