LS swap 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
allen

LS swap 69

ok fellas i would like to start getting parts around for a LS swap i would like to do 6.0 just because seems like everyone does the 5.3 but 5.3 is not out of the question i will do either !

few questions

what year / model engine 6.0 or 5.3 should i look for

what trans should i run / currently the car has turbo350 auto

the car isn't a drag car, just going to be a cruiser

thanks in advance educate me i will appreciate it !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rim2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	116417  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 05:05 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: LS swap 69

I'm old school, so I have no opinion on which to get, but that is a nice looking car!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 05:10 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

5.3's are cheaper and were (still are) used in 1/2T trucks and SUV's
6.0's were used in 3/4-1T trucks

For what you're looking to do, a 5.3 would be fine and perform well or even better with a few bolt-ons.

I used the TCI flexplate to keep my 350TH, but you could get the whole motor/trans combo for your swap to get the OD trans.
Some places will offer (at a cost) everything needed to do the swap (gas pedal if a DBW, computer, ETC) So you'll need to shop around some if keeping the EFI.
You will also need motor swap mounts and such, there may be some fab'ing depending on what you want/need.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 05:45 AM
Banned
Chet

Key words why I wouldn't do the LS swap. "just because seems like everyone does" and "just going to be a cruiser". An awful lot of work and money just to be like everyone else and just to cruise around. I have gone on record myself saying that if my engine ever went south and was unrepairable, I would go LS. Now, I'm not so sure. Heads and EFI and very sophisticated computer controls/electronics are what makes the LS. You can put better heads on your current engine and fuel inject it. I'm just not sold on the LS as much as I was anymore. That's me, it's your car so if you want an LS put an LS in it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 06:49 AM
____

Garage

EFI is nice IF you have the parts and know-how.....me I like carbs and can tune myself
As for the costs....it's all relative.
If I was to do another SBC in the same HP range and bought intake to pan, I'd be at near the same costs.
If I rebuilt what I had and added the better heads I needed, I may be in it for about $1500 less.
If I just freshened up what I had, I may be in it for about $2500ish

My old 406ci SBC was getting tired, and was a little rough on the street with the 25X/26X solid roller. This 364" SBE with the same compression and hydraulic roller (23X/24X) is much tamer on the street, runs cooler, and has already been as fast as the old 406" (well .02 slower and still tuning) but has more in it yet
It's your car and your $$$....have fun

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 07:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

If you are going with an iron block, I would look for an LQ9 (6.0 with higher compression) first, then and LQ4 (6.0 with lower compression), then a 5.3 last.

If you want an aluminum block, LS2 (essentially an aluminum block version of an LQ9), also plenty of aluminum 5.3's out there to choose from newer trucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 07:14 AM
John

Garage

As I've stated before the Engine whether a takeout LS1, 5.3 or LS2 is the cheapest part of the swap.

It's everything from the swap plates, to the fuel and cooling system upgrades that will add approx $5k to the swap costs.

I would not spend the time or money on a 5.3 unless I was going to Boost it or Hit it.

Also need to decide if you want Alum or Iron block. Auto or Manual?

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 07:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
EFI is nice IF you have the parts and know-how.....me I like carbs and can tune myself
Doug, your setup looks a lot like mine. An EFI system is pretty simple to put together for that. I went with an Edelbrock Vic Jr, Edelbrock fuel rails, and a 4 barrel throttle body with a traditional air cleaner on top. I added an aftermarket harness with a GM computer and had it tuned locally. I'm not saying it's cheap, but I see you keep mentioning how you would only do EFI if you already had the parts. But you also like carbs, and I don't, so that makes a big difference!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 07:22 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
I used to be 100% old school carb guy too. But once I got into EFI I was hooked.

I know you have the skills and knowledge that if you gave it a shot you'd come up to speed quickly.

Once you go EFI you'll never go back.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 08:19 AM
____

Garage

IF I was to go EFI, it would be something like a FAST 2.0 system. I would not keep the stock EFI, but that's just me.
A lot of the aftermarket systems are only good to 500hp or so, and I hate being limited

EFI = Voodoo

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 08:38 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
IF I was to go EFI, it would be something like a FAST 2.0 system. I would not keep the stock EFI, but that's just me.
A lot of the aftermarket systems are only good to 500hp or so, and I hate being limited

EFI = Voodoo
The stock EFI with stock fuel rail and bigger injectors is good for up to 1000 hp or more.

My LS7 was about 635 and my LS1 Vette with the Maggie on it was about 650
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 15, 06:25 PM
____

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The stock EFI with stock fuel rail and bigger injectors is good for up to 1000 hp or more.

My LS7 was about 635 and my LS1 Vette with the Maggie on it was about 650
Sorry....I meant in aftermarket stuff

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 15, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
allen

thanks all im going o keep eye out for 5.3 with 2wd trans and start collecting parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode