need header help-guys with 69 a/c, p/s ,4 speed - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I read and searched the old posts and need to find some of you that have a 69 with a/c, p/s, and a 4 speed that have headers that fit. There is bound to be some out there. I also have 2" lowering springs so is clearance going to be an issue? I told to a guy at Ricks and he said a lot of them will fit that say they wont. Please give me some insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 02:16 PM

big block or small block?

I have a very similiar setup with a small block and may be able to help....i'm not sure about what fits the big block though.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

My bad. Small block 383 with World product heads.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 03, 09:51 PM
Senior Tech

Many full length headers will fit, but they will extend below the sub-frame & you will scrape the bottoms on the street regularly. Nobody makes shortys that will fit a 4-speed. I recently posted the same problem with my 72 Nova, & some people said the Thorley Tri-Y's won't drag.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 08:16 AM

I am running a set of Hooker comps (not the super comps, mine have the 1 5/8" primaries)on a 69 with all the options you questioned about. I have been using these for about 4 or 5 years now and don't have any real complaints.

Many of the a/c parts on my car have been removed, but I do have the a/c suitcase on the firewall and the hookers will fit it. Its very close, but not close enough to melt the suitcase or anything. You may want to "tap" the primary tube with a hammer to get a little more clearance in that area.

Gound clearance has not been a big issue for me either. I have stock front springs that have been cut to give about a 1.5" drop and I rarely if ever have the headers drag. I still avoid big speed bumps and such when I can.

now the bad: the last bolt on the back of the #8 primary tube is a pain to get to. I had to bend a wrench and take off the valve cover to tighten it up. Also, the number 6 sparkplug is covered by the primary tubes making it "interesting' to get the plug in or boot over the plug. other than that no real complaints.

power steering was no problem and you may even be able to get them on without removing the z-bar depending on how high you can jack up your car.

I can't remember the part number right off but I can check if you can't find them listed, I may still have the receipt filed away.

I hope some of this helped, maybe someone else will chime in with info about other brands for you.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am guessing that you ordered the ones for 4 speed and no a/c. I can look that number up in a Jeg's or Summit catalog. I have the 350/396 motor mounts and there are some that have said hooker will workd with these. I have not been able to find Hooker's website at all.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

What Neal said....

There used to be a bunch of info in the archives. I t may have been purged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 08:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Call Thorley's. Tell them your car is lowered. They will tell you of a place that sells shorty headers for just about any application.

Gary

1967 RS Coupe (clone): 406 SBC, Thorley headers, Muncie, Hotchkis suspension, Centerline Matrix 17" wheels with Nitto 555's, Baer brakes, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, RS conversion, Vintage Air, PPG Hot Red. (SOLD)

1968 RS Coupe: Project...Mini-tubbed, Cammed LS 6.0, T56, 12 bolt 3.73 posi, Ridetech 4 link...slowly adding more...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 08:17 PM

I couldn't find the invoice but I did find http://www.holley.com/hookerheaders/
The ones I was describing should be #2451. They also list some super comps that should fit too if you want bigger primaries.

Thorley's or even hedman should make some that will suit your needs as well or even better, it just depends what flavor you like best.

I noticed you have World heads. You probably already know this but make sure your headers will fit your plug orientation. Some headers say they won't work with angled plugs and such...just something to keep in mind.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 03, 08:59 PM

Thorley's fit just about everything on a small block to include angle plugs.

IMHO, they fit the best and give you the most ground clearence out of them all if you are going to run 2.5" exhaust tubing. The 'Try-y' design covers a very broad RPM band width and has natural scavenging and reversion characteristics. Best off the shelf header I have used yet.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 08:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I have Hooker Comps and ground clearence is a real problem. They'll be coming off soon for that reason. They do fit excellent otherwise.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I contacted some of the places today and got a varitety of answers. Hedman said no to a/c, thorley said no to a/c, dynomax said no to angle plugs, sanderson said no to 4 speed, hooker said only their super comps with 1 5/8 primaries would fit angle heads with a/c and p/s. I am worried super comps will be too low even if they fit.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 03, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

The 1 5/8" Hooker Super Comps have 3" collectors. Check the distance from the center of the front A-arm pivot bolt to the ground. Mine is 9.25" and has zero problems.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 04:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

My problem with the Comps is that the drivers side is lower to the ground. If that wasn't the case I'd have no problem.

CarlC, Are your Super Comps an equal distance to the ground?

I recall reading a post that the Super Comps were more specific to the application and the Comps would fit several vehicles. Hookers online catalog appears to confirm this.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 03, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

They fit the frame fine. Many years ago the car had Comps, but the fit was not good. The #8 tube is too close to the firewall as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode