New clutch symptoms - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Well, I fired up my car this afternoon. I now have a new Autogear M22, Centerforce dual friction setup and their billet flywheel. If I adjust the clutch with about 1" freeplay at the top of the pedal, the clutch starts engaging pretty close to the floor and reverse gear is impossible to get in to with the motor running. If I adjust the lingage so there's minimal free play, it's much better although reverse is a pain. Is this teething pains with a new clutch and tranny? Will putting some miles on it change the behavior? I also put a new clutch fork ( thanks to Carl C for the part number in an old post) and throwout bearing.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech

Your clutch is not releasing completely. I would take a look at your linkage for wear or broken parts. A new clutch doesn't need to be broken in.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 02, 04:32 PM

Stuff the shifter into first before you go for reverse. Since the reverse is not syncro'ed it makes it eaiser for tooth enguagement. Most of the road race or even hardcore street applications I build, most seem to have this problem when adjusted as you have stated. I myself adjust the same way. I have just gotten used to finding first before reverse.....and the trans seems to like it alot more when I have to go for rebuild....parts are less likely to be as beat up.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 02, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Centerforce recommends 500 miles of "city driving" to break the dual friction clutch assembly in. I've got 1,000 miles of combined city/highway driving so far.

Rick, the dual friction clustch feels different from most of the other clutches I've used. It feels more "grabby", with very little slipping - kind of like an auto tranny with a shift kit. I've definitely had to change driving styles.

I'd be interested in what others experiences have been with the dual friction clutch.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 02, 04:01 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Centerforce II does grab quickly. Feels like the rough friction material is doing it's job.

-Mark.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 02, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Some feedback. Once I followed chacane67's advice and put it into 1st gear initially, it went into reverse very smoothly. Just took it for a quick run around the block and my initial impressions are that the dual friction has a narrower engagement range than other clutch setups. I had a centerforce(I) in before.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 02, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

Rick, I don't think its a narrower engagement range, I think it's that the Dual Friction clutch material grabs better than other Centerforce models.

I've had Centerforce IIs in my car for 9 years and the action in the Dual Friction's pressure plate "feels" the same. Maybe it's not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode