8.2 - 8.5 Rear Axle Swap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 01, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

This past weekend at Super Chevy @ Maple Grove, PA I picked up a rebuilt 8.5, 10 bolt, posi rear/axle from a 73 Nova to swap into my 69 SS clone to replace the sloth like 2.73 open rear. I'll be doing the swap without the benefit of a floor lift or air powered tools. I was wondering with all the knowledge and experience of the memebers of this board what might be the simpliest/easiest way to swap out the entire assembly from backer plate to backer plate. Would it be easier to remove the rear shackle bolts on each side and roll the axle out the back or pull the wheels and try and take the entire assembly out the side? Any other tips or thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

------------------
Doug

'69SS 350/300 (currently)
'65 327/275 Corvette Coupe(previously)

[This message has been edited by GDV350SS (edited 07-24-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 03:31 AM
Guess

Doug,
Can you get it up in the air and get the car on jackstands? Securing it safely up in the air on jackstands would be your best bet. Then you can support the rearend with either a floor jack right under the differential or a series of wood blocks. I'd use a jack because that way you can crank it up until just before the car wants to come off the jackstands. This will take a little of the load off of the leaf springs. Remove all of the brake line fittings, emergency brake cables, the shocks and then the front spring bolts. Just be careful because the leaf springs WILL have a lot of tension on them. Then carefully remove the shackle bolts and the rear should drop right out. You may have to drop the gas tank to get to the shackle bolts. You'll want to anyway so you can replace them and their upper and lower bushings.
Did I miss anything guys?

Good luck Doug!

[This message has been edited by HwyStarJoe (edited 07-25-2001).]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 04:57 AM

You probably want to pick up some new c-clip nuts for those front spring perches. They are usually rusted and end up breaking (first hand experience!). I was able to find them at the local chevy dealership.

Let me know if you have other questions or problems-I did the same swap in Feb.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech

If you're not going to replace the bushings, it would be easier to take it out from the side.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 01, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

While you have it out throw away the T bolts and get 2 more U bolts to hold the housing to the springs. This will make a much stronger mount.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking

Thanks to all who took time to reply.

I'm going to take a serious look how difficult removing the shackle bolts appears and based on that will make my decision on whether to go out the back or the side. I'll also be switching to u-bolts for the axles. Sounds like I'll have an interesting weekend project waiting for me when I return from my vacation.

Thanks!!

------------------
Doug

'69 SS clone 350/300
'65 327/275 Corvette Coupe(previously)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I forgot to mention you will have to bend the brake lines slightly to get the U bolts behind them. This is not a problem.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 01, 03:47 PM

I recently swapped the 10 bolt for a 12 and I went out the side. Reason for this kind of varies. I personnally spent three weeks hunting for parts and waiting for deliveries. I wasn't looking to drop the tank to get to the bolts.
It was a little awkward though. Mainly because my idea was to get one brake over the spring, turn it to point out the rear and then bring the other side over its spring and back it out. However the friend that was helping idea was to go straight out the side. So there was a split second or tug of war.

Anyhow it wasn't that bad going out the side. I think it made putting things back together slightly easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode