Converting to 700r-4 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

I am interested in replacing the TH350 in my '69 to a 700r-4. What is involved in the swap. Is it worth it, or should I just stay with the 350. I'm going in the pro-touring direction, and I plan on putting in a 400hp-450hp 383 in it. Also, which rear end/gearing, and converter would work the best. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 01, 09:42 PM
WE4
Tech Team

Talking

Go 2004r with dependabilty. We do them every day. 700 not good choice for what you want to do.
For more info call or email me and I'll tell you EXACTLY what is involved.
Thanks
Bruce
WE4

------------------
Thank You
WE4
Bruce Toelle
Performance Transmissions
"WE GOT THE 2004R PARTS!"
www.ptsnctb.com
[email protected]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 08:16 AM
Senior Tech
John

Inspecter, My advice is take Bruce's advice. This guy isn't just trying to push his product. He really knows what he's talking about.

John

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 10:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Doing a search for 700r4 will net you 130 hits. I did the conversion from a powerglide and don't regret it now that it's over. The two main issues were cross member and drive shaft length. I went with a custom after market x-member ($140.00) ouch! I was leaning towards the 2004r to start with because it is more of a direct bolt in but was swayed away from it by some local guys that didn't know what they were talking about. The 700 has a 3.06 1st gear that will really get things going but then goes to 1.62 for 2nd which seems a bit much, the 200 has a more consistent ratio progression (if that make sense). You must be sure and use a lock up converter with the 700 especially if you go with any amount stall. As far as rear gear I'm leaning towards a 3.55 (2.56 now) which would net a better launch ratio than a TH350 with 4.11's. All total I spent about $1,500.00 that included all the goodies such as x-member, shifter plate conversion, electric's for lock up, etc. I'm no skilled mechanic and managed to get through this by myself with standard hand tools and a trans jack. Go for it... you'll love that overdrive.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

So which is it fellas, the 200 or the 700....right now I think I am leaning towards the 200. I will be doing a lot of highway cruising, but still want the stoplight to stoplight thrills. Thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 01:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

2004R from Bruce. It's an easier swap and with a 700 you're nearing the limit of that trans design as far as being able to handle torque/hp. If you're like me you'll want more power someday and then you'll be swapping transmissions along with engine parts to keep up. With the 2004R it can be modified as you go (or initially) to handle most any h.p. you throw at it.

By the way, I have one of Bruce's trans and you won't find a more knowledgeable or helpful guy to deal with. He also stands behind his products.

Jody
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 01:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I wouldn't argue against to 2004r for a minute. I've often wondered if I made the right decision. So far, so good. Let us know how it turns out. Either way you'll enjoy the OD.

------------------
Robert

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 04:48 PM
Senior Tech

OK, I have spent thousands of dollars trying to make a 700R live with 600HP and it simply is not going to happen (MAX limit is @ 500HP/500 ft. lbs. torque).

Secondly the drop in gear ratio between 1st to 2nd on a 700R is SIGNIFICANT enough that you will hurt your acceleration compared to the 2004R combo especially if you can't put all the horsepower to the ground from a standing start anyway, which I can't.

Third, the 2004R tranny has billet steel internal components available which can be used to replace the stock components and that is why the tranny can be made stroner than a 700R.

Fourth the 2004R supports a WOT shift into overdrive from 3rd gear. Some Corvette ELECTRONIC (4L60E)versions of the 700R support this but very few.

Once you start getting into the 700-800 HP area ANY overdrive tranny is going to have a problem. Here a TURBO 400 with a gear Vendors Overdrive would be my suggestion.

In terms of quarter mile times, 2004R can be made strong enough for 9 and 10 second cars. Anything faster than say 11.50 and a 700R is going to have reliability problems.

If that isn't enough to think about then you remember the Callaway Vettes Right??? Think they used a 700R like the stock vettes of that year. NO WAY!!! They had Turbo 400's with Gear Vendors overdrives in them. Grant it we have better parts for the 700 now and they work GREAT in the right application (500HP or less).

I know for a fact that supercharged LS1 Camaros with 6-8 PSI of boost are breaking their 700R's (4L60E). These cars make @ 420HP at the rear wheels (approx. 530HP at the motor). Of course, most of these guys spend 5 grand on the supercharger and ZERO on the tranny. So it is no wonder that the stock tranny breaks but even if they did build up the tranny it would still be marginal at this power level.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 01, 08:04 PM
WE4
Tech Team

Thanks Jody and Jon for the Kudos....
As for Inspectorr Gadget, you are on the right path, heheheheheh
Bruce
WE4

------------------
Thank You
WE4
Bruce Toelle
Performance Transmissions
"WE GOT THE 2004R PARTS!" www.ptsnctb.com
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by WE4 (edited 01-16-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode