recon engines - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 04, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Guys,
I need some opinions on Recon engines. I am looking into their 383. IT seems to be a little cheaper, but am I missing something? Any bad or good experiences out there? I just read the article in CHP on it and it seems pretty solid. Feedback please!!

68 Camaro, HOT LS3, tremec 6 speed, vintage air, 17 inch tourque thrust II, CPP discs, 3.73 posi, Autometer gauges, painless harness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 04, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
Rex

i work at a service center and we put one of their crate engines (Not performance) and it shelled at about 6k..they would not warranty it because it was in a commercial vehicle. I saw there aticle in the mag also. I had a 383 built ffor my 69 z from mcclure racing in Dallas. I am very happy with the motor. It is 450 hp/465 Ib ft of torque. It cost only 3500. I added a rpm air gap and a milidon deep pan and a flywheel instead of the flexplate and came in under 4,000. You might want to give them a call. they have adds in back of many magazines.

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 04, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Was that price long block or complete carb to pan? Do you have the phone number or website?

68 Camaro, HOT LS3, tremec 6 speed, vintage air, 17 inch tourque thrust II, CPP discs, 3.73 posi, Autometer gauges, painless harness

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 04, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

Brad, you can reach Mcclure Racing at 972-243-6070 and their web address is www.mcclureracing.com. The 3500 covered long block. 4000 covered manifold to the milodon pan. the first choice comes with a chrome dress upe kit and a pan, but I chose to go with the milidon. it is 10.5 compression rollor tip rockers. It has an eagle crank and rods, keith black pistons. the cams is a stout 231 at .050 and .480 lift. adv. duratin is 286. If i remember correctly you can upgrade to a rollor for 500 more. I hope this helps. i wish you could here her run.

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 04, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech

have a qualified mechanic go over the engine before you install it,mine(non performance 1984 350)had 2 loose main cap bolts and a bent pushrod.glad i looked it over!
also read the warranty carefully,motor must be installed and serviced by a certified(and approved)mechanic.
good luck!
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
Virgil

Brad,
Know of any machine shops around B'haven? Or is that the reason you are looking for a complete engine?
I can usually find good complete engines around here for a good price.
Off hand I know where a complete build 350 w around 10K miles for $800 and a 71 402 w/400 turbo (all stock, and 61K original miles) for $750. I drove the 402 before it was pulled.

Virgil
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

A guy just turned me on to a shop in Jackson. On Gallatin street. I think the name was Massey machine. Supposedly the "Stroker king" He has biult several motors for cars at the speedway. I think I may give himn a call because he is local. I already have a 4 bolt block. Who build your motors?, OR do you do it yourself?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 04, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
Virgil

Brad ,
I do all the assembly work, but I have my machine work done by Mark Deshotels in Denham Springs, LA. (Mark's Automotive Machine Shop)
He has owned street cars and runs NHRA, and before he does any work, he wants to sit down and talk to you about your intended application. He has saved me ALOT of money, for things I would have had done, that he claims was unnecessary for my application. (Other shops I have dealt with have always wanted to sell me the most expensive machining ops)He is a real staright shooter.
Drop me a line, if you are interested, and I'll send you a list of his prices, etc. I know he is further from you than Jackson though.
I have had great service from him for over 10 years.
I haven't heard of the place that you are talking of, so I can't comment on them. I have a friend (his Camaro runs 9.20s with a 406 SBC) who swears by a shop in Vidalia, LA, but I haven't used them either. Will like to get prices from each so that I can compare, though.

Virgil
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 04, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Virgil,

I tried to email you, but your address is not on this site. Can you email me so that we can discuss this further?
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode