engine swap - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Bought a 350 cu. in motor and went to swap it for a dead 350 cu. in motor. When I pulled the old one out and removed the flex plate in measures 12 7/8 in in dia. The new 350 came with a fly wheel on it for a manual transmission and a starter motor and it measures 14 1/8 inches.When I switched them the old flex plate is not large enough to touch the starter. I can't switch starters because the bolt patterns are different. What am I missing here?. I thought any 350 would bolt right up [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] the tranny is a 72 350 Any advice?

67 Camaro RS350SS (already restored) 68Convertible(future project)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Coupe(restoring)On hold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gave to friend.

67 Convertible (restoring)

67 Coupe(parts car for now)

72 Chevelle Malibu

2-69 Jaguar xke roadsters (appeasing the wife)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 04:49 PM
Bill

tweb,
Just get a large 168 tooth flywheel (flexplate) for the 350. They cost around $20 most anywhere and it would be the easiest way to go.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 04:52 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Is your block tapped with 3 starter bolt holes? I have seen some that aren't.

The small flywheel takes a starter nose that has bolts which are inline with each other, 1 long and 1 short.

The big flywheel uses a starter nose that has the bolt holes staggered, both bolts the same length.

If your block is not drilled for the type of starter you need, I'm not sure what to tell you. I have used the starter as a template and drilled and tapped the block myself, but it's kind of a scary proposition.

I think some of the afertmarket mini starters are adjustable - you might look into something like that.

Or like Bill said - get the big flexplate. (Make sure it's not for a 400 ci motor)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 04, 07:10 PM

The best thing you can do is use a 305 flywheel and starter because of clearance sakes .
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 04, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks a bunch.The flex plate sounds like the way to go.
81 can you clarify. Clearance for what? What's different with a 305.

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 04, 04:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

First make sure your 350 isn't drilled for both starter bolt patterns... Closest to the block, if there's a second hole, an inch to the rear (lined up with the outer hole) you can just use the starter and flexplate from the old motor.

If not, go to the parts store or dealerr, and ask em for a flexplate for a 78 caprice with a 350. Bring your manual trans flywheel with. If the ring gear is the same size (it should be), you're in. Be sure to use NEW bolts, they come with a locking compound on the threads.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 04, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

OH CRAP I just finished installing the motor tonight before I read JimM's post. Exactly how important is the locking compound. My damn book didn't mention it. I torqued them to 55 ft pds. Man am I ever @#%$ off. I did get to use the old flywheel and starter. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 04, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech

I wouldn't pull it apart just to put thread lock on the bolts. I have done the same thing and never had a problem.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 04, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks deerhunter, hope you're right. The bolts did have the lock washers on them. If they ever came loose, I'm sure I'll hear some strange noises first.

Gave to friend.

72 Chevelle Malibu

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 04, 05:49 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

I wouldn't worry about the thread locker too much it is always a good idea to use thread locker on almost every bolt when doing reassembly but i have done many many clutches taken off the flywheel everytime to have it refinished or replaced and have never had a problem ( I have used lock-tite 50% of the time approx.) and i really haven't had any problems with either one .. now with a real high horsepower application this may differ due to extreme vibrations and so forth but for moderate applications you should be ok!

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 04, 04:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Just keep your fingers crossed...

Next time tho... new arp flexplate bolts cost about $5. They come with a bead of red locking glop about half way down the threads. New Chevy bolts are the same way but cost more.

And yes, once apon a time, I had some work loose. They get trapped by the torque converter, and the dowels transfer the power... you don't know nuttin till the center rips out of the flexplate from the vibration!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode