Rocker stud cut - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Question

I have a 68 Camaro 327. Completely rebuilt engine, valves and all. Did not replace rocker studs. However I have replaced(3)rocker studs since the rebuild that had cuts in the side of them causing the rocker arm to sit sideways slightly and eventually would come off of the valve. Are the studs just worn from age since they were not replaced and I just didn't notice it on the rebuild, or is there something I am missing?? I have replaced the(3)with the screw in studs and that fixes the problem, just not sure what created the problem. Have not run into this before. But a definate cut in the side of the stud.
Thanks for any ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 12:52 PM
Bill

old, (Name ??)
Take a look at the oblong holes where the pushrods pass through the cylinder head. If your heads have the stock, pressed in, rocker studs, then the pushrods should be a pretty "snug" fit in the holes in the head. That is all that guides them and keeps them from moving to the side. If the holes are worn badly, you will have to remove the heads and have screw in studs and guide plates installed. The other thing to look at is the tips of the valves. If they are not perfectly square, they can cause the same problem.
Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Thanks Bill: I will check those areas. Makes sense and doesn't sound to extensive a repair even if I have to pull the heads to fix. Just ashame that the machine shop didn't see a problem.
Oh, the name ? I love old cars and I'm a San Fransico 49er's fan. So I put the 2 together!
Makes oldcarman49er!
Thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech

i think he wants to know your name when you are not on an internet message board- you know,what Ma and Pa called you when you were young...

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 05:38 PM

Angry

Yes,

Bill likes to call us by our given names! It's a thing with him and I respect him for it b/c I have razzed him about it before..

Paul, (aka, pdq67)

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 04, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech

I bet your rocker arm geometry is out of wack. I had an early 327 that the lifter bores were not correct. The thing would saw rocker arms in two until I put a set of heads on with guide plates that I could adjust. After I got everything right no more problems.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 04, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Bill:
The oblong hole for the pushrod seems to be snug like the rest of them. The end of the valve looks square from a visual. The only thing that looks slightly out of alignment is the rocker stud itself. But just slightly. It doesn't look perfectly square to the head, but only a few degrees at most! This could be causing the problem. I have built many small blocks, and this is the first time I have run into this problem before. Oh yeah, Bill, my name is Kim! My parents were on drugs when I was born!!
Thanks for all imput!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 04, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech

i had the same problem and traced it back to valve spring coil bind,also lack of valve guide to retainer clearance will cause this.
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 04, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

did you go with a higher lift cam? If so the rockers you have may not be long slot rockers. To much lift and kicking the rocker to the side?

Are the studs strait? You said you replaced with screw in studs, I would think you have pressed in? Could be bent studs or bending studs or loose pressed in studs. If all studs are drilled were they drilled strait/ I have seen a nice set of heads ruined once by a friend drilling his and not paying attention to his work.

Just some thoughts hope they might help.

Joe.

BTW:
The name thing about Bill, never knew that, but he must like me

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode