BB Crossmember and Shifter - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Still trying to get all the information to swap motors in my car.

My shifter is VERY close to the right side of my console now. If I use BB brackets and a different crossmember I am concerned that it might actually hit.

I have power steering and want to use headers. That is one of the reasons I considered using the correct mounts and crossmember.

Has anyone done this using the stock small block parts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 06:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

There is only one company I know of who makes headers for a big block 67-69 Camaro using small block mounts; but they're also for aftermarket heads, most of which have a raised exhaust port. I actually have a set for sale. You might call them to see if they make a set for stock heads if that's what you have. The company is Lemon's Headers. Their number is (805) 239-8998.

The least expensive thing to do may be to use the correct factory mounts for the big block, Hooker Super Comps (I know they fit) or whatever header you like, and see if there isn't a different handle for the shifter on a big block. It sounds like your shifter or handle isn't right if it's that far to the side.

The other off-the-shelf headers don't clear the ps box if you're using the small block frame pads and mounts.

As a side note, why do the Hookers and others have to be SOOOOOOOOO close to the box with the correct pads? These Lemon's headers were larger tube (2 1/8") and had at least 1/2" clearance at the box. The Hooker's although they cleared were so close I actually had the grind the head of one of the ps box cover bolts to clear.

Jody
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. My heads are GM Iron Rec ports. They came on a jet boat. 119cc chambers.

Is a BB Crossmember really necessary?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 07:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

You only use the bb crossmember if you're using the bb frame pads and mounts as they shift the motor over an inch or so.

There are several people running the big blocks on the small block mounts and crossmembers. They just have to beat up the headers pretty good to get them to fit.

Jody
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I will avoid commenting again on the crossmember issue. Way over the top on that one.

The shifter assembly/stick is the same from big block to small block. The shifter mounting bracket is different and unique to the big block. The factory shifter linkage rods are unique to Big Block as well. The tranny levers are the same I believe. If you want to retain the factory console you will probably want the factory parts or it will hit the console. An aftermarket Hurst big block shifter/linkage would also work with the console but check the web site to see if the shifter mounting bracket is included for the 69 Camaro BB. You can see the parts list there for the instalation kit for your car. The small block kit advised you to retain the factory mounting plate for that particular application but when the kit arrived, there was a 2 piece rigged up mounting plate with instructions to use the factory piece if you have it or use the 2 piece kit provided. I do not know if the big block is that way or not.

The console is not a forgiving piece during a swap. It's usualy all or nothing.

-Mark.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 02, 04:32 PM

All I am going to say is that when I dropped my 409 in my car years ago, it bolted up and shifted like stock!! But I went with the stock 409 cast-iron truck exhaust manifolds.

And that was just by jerking my 350 out and that was all. pdq67

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 02, 04:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I think the big block shifter bracket is available Repo. Try some of the Larger Vendors. I think D and R had them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode