Need a starter that works!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Unhappy

Today was a quest to find a starter for my car and I had absolutely no luck. I have a 1975 Chevy 350 truck motor in the car and a Muncie M20 with a 3858403 bell housing.

This is the information I have on the block:

Casting: 3970010
1968-1979, 327 and 350ci, 145-375HP, 2 or 4 bolt main. Used for trucks and high performance applications.

VIN Stamping: C5U114394
C - Chevy truck
5 - 1975
U - Lordstown, OH assembly plant
114394 - Last 6 digits of the VIN. 14,394th unit built so it is an early 75 model.

Engine Application Code: V1106TYU
V - Flint, MI engine plant
11 - November
06 - 6th day
TYU - 1975 3/4 or 1 ton truck, 350ci, 160HP, manual trans, 4bbl carb, RPO LS9.

We tried a starter numerous starters but nothing matched what I have and would not work. Anyone got a recommendation? I'd like to stick with a starter that I can pick up at just about any parts store.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Frustrated...

Donald
68 Camaro convertible (resto on hold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 02:50 PM
Bill

Donald,
The answer is going to depend on which size flywheel you are using. There are only a couple of choices depending on the bolt pattern on the block and the flywheel size. Your flywheel is probably a large one with 168 teeth on the ring gear. If so, the starter for a 71 Chevelle 350 should work fine.
What was different about the starters that you got from the parts store that they would not work ?

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 02:54 PM
Kevin

Don, with the 403 bellhousing and a 153 tooth flywheel, you should be able to use any generic starter with large nose and straight bolt holes. They would use the long and short bolts. Are the two holes closest to the bellhousing tapped? What types of starters have you been trying?

Kevin

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Try a 68 Camaro 327 or 69 302. Should be fine with one of those. I have no idea why that would not fit. The 403 bellhousing will not fit the 350 engine starter. If you are positive it is a "403" bellhousing, there are not many choices in nose cones. The bolts should be in line, not staggered. If the old starter has 2 bolts not in line with each other, you have the bigger setup.

The 350 can come with the SS sized bellhousing/Clutch/starter which is all different stuff.

-Mark.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 02:59 PM
Kevin

Don, After seeing BillKs post (we were typing at the same time, Bill was just quicker [img]smile.gif[/img] ), You are not running the large flywheel (11 inch clutch) with the 403 (10.5 inch clutch)bellhousing, are you? That combo would not work with any type of starter, except maybe an aftermarket mini one.

Kevin

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Angry

DOH!!!

I think Mark hit it on the head when he stated that a "403 bellhousing will not fit the 350 engine starter." Every starter we tried was for a 350. We tried the 68, 70, and 75 Camaro 350 and a 75 truck. Plus we cross referenced with other starters and none would work. In all we tried at least 8 different starters, but all were for a 350. All of these would not line up with the bellhousing hole and the bolt holes. The current starter has about 2 inches between the left side of the starter gear shaft and the outside bolt hole and all those we looked at today had only 1" to 1.5". This would be for a larger flywheel if I am viewing it in my mind correctly.

The current starter does utilize the long and short bolts that are in line. Nothing we looked at today used this configuration. Almost all, if not all, of them used the two medium sized bolts. I am sure the bellhousing is the 403 and I would expect the flywheel is the correct 10.5, but I am not sure.

So having read all of this I am thinking that if I go ask for a 68 Camaro 327 starter I'll finally get what I need. Agreed?

Geesh... I feel dumb. [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Donald
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 03, 05:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

69 307 will also work. I run the 403 bell on my zz4 350 and mini starter. I replaced the oringinal w/ the GM mini/. I have the original starter and it is for a 153 tooth fly and 69 307 and will bolt up to the parallel bolt pattern on a zz4 350.

Does the Block have starter holes that line up parallel? If so, you should be able to find the correct starter.

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Glad you found it. There is no way to use the 168 tooth flywheel with a 403 bellhousing. The 168 is physicaly too big to fit inside it. Been there, done that, T-shirt don't fit anymore

-Mark.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech

If you are looking for a hi-torque starter to work with your 153 tooth flywheel, go to the parts house and ask for a 1970 Oldsmobile 455 starter.. Does not matter which model car, just a '70 Olds 455. I KNOW this starter will work for you. It has the two holes in-line, and both bolts are the same length..

Good luck with your project!

1969 383CI, T-56, 12 bolt-3.31 posi, 13" C5 Rotors, PBR Calipers, rear disc system..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 03, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Angry

Thanks gang for all the input. The 68 327 starter was a perfect fit.

Now if I can just remember that when I have to replace it.

Donald
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode