Help with engine tick. - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 15, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Jesse

Help with engine tick.

Hello all-
Ive been trying to figure this thing out for quite awhile. The problem is right at about 1600 rpm I start to get a tick that will increase with an increase in rpm. Below that its very quiet. What gets me is the tick seems to cycle. Tick Tick Tick Tick.......quiet..........tick tick tick tick. Its only quiet for about a second, just enough to hear a break in the ticking. What Ive done: Header gaskest x 4 times different materials, percy's soft aluminum, copper, stock, and stock with red RTV. This did nothing but get me really good at changing the gaskets. Adusted the rocker arms, once on cold engine on compresion stroke of each cylinder, and once with the engine running. This didnt help either specially since the engine at idle is perfectly quiet. Ive run engine cleaners through it, every viscosity oil, conventional and synthetic. I still lean towards lifters as it seems to be coming from down in the engine. BTW its 350 built about 3000 miles ago according to the previous owner. I found the receipt for the build, but did not have a break down what was done. It just said 300 HP 350.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 15, 11:59 AM
Team Member
Darin

Re: Help with engine tick.

If it's not an exhaust leak, I would think cam lobe going flat or lifter making the noise.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 15, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech

Is a spark jumping to ground somewhere? Check the plug wires, at night, with lights off. You may see a spark.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 15, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

I would buy or borrow a mechanics stethoscope and attempt to isolate the ticking to a particular cylinder. Then, pull the valve cover and remove the rockers and push rods from that cylinder. Check the ends of the push rods for "peening" or if either is bent slightly. If you have a hydraulic lifter cam setup, a lifter could be stuck and inoperative, unless of course you wiped a lobe from the cam, then all bets are off. Also, check the valve springs for cracks, breaks or missing valve retainers. If a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil poured directly into the lifter assemblies doesn't help, then, you need to dig deeper!

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 15, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Check ball in a hydraulic lifter has a flat spot.
Yes, GM uses piddle valve, but I'm betting the lifters are aftermarket - ball for a check valve.
Locate tick per side
then remove valve cover and rotate crankshaft by hand for closing the valves and finding the 'leaky' lifter.
Drain fluids, remove manifold and replace lifter.
Otherwise, if lifter not found, replace set of 16.
Use GM's EOS, break-in lifters as in a new camshaft.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 15, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech
Ty

Have you checked the collector gasket....

I had a similar problem when I installed aluminum heads on a prior Camaro I had. Turned out I had the wrong size push rods. They were a tad short. Nothing to cause any problems except for that slight ticking noise. I drove it for over 5k miles (almost two years) and then got bored one day and pulled the heads off. Put correct size push rods... no more ticking.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 15, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Jesse

thank you for the suggestions. Yes forgot to mention i have done collector gaskets as well. Is it safe to replace new lifters on old cam? Ive heard different things, ive never done it myself. Just go through normal break in procedure?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 15, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I would buy or borrow a mechanics stethoscope and attempt to isolate the ticking
An essential tool in any tool block up there with a socket wrench and side cutters.
And check top of tappets covers...that will get close to where in the valve train if thats the issue.
The 2 most properly the hardest to locate.
1/ a cracked piston or damaged piston skirt.. usually caused by a dropped piston or initial fire up way too advanced and/ or lean.. hard o locate the tick from anyware, but more noticeable/ directional listening under the car when on a hoist
2/ A lifter only just touching a tappet cover.. but not enough to mark or feel it... a thicker or 2 cork gaskets may fix and/or a dremel taking a couple thou off the inside

But eliminate everything mentioned above.. including a slight exhaust leak at the rear of the engine, and any spark jumping... including behind the dizzy.....All of the above easy t locate and ID with stethoscope....hell they are only $15/ 20 bucks

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 15, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

A lifter or worn cam lobe comes to mind as a first idea,

1976 Camaro, M20 Muncie 4 Speed, Hurst equipped
1972 Camaro, Full Drag Car
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 15, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

get a broom stick and put one end on the fuel pump and the other on you ear see if you will hear the noise there. one more thing if you have a crack piston it will also tick, or broken valve spring, take a test light ground the one side as if you would of check if a fuse is burned and with the pointy side pock through the side of the spark plug wire a between the wire and the boot to ground that cylinder try all 8 avoid pocking holes on the boots cause they will arc to ground. if its anywhere in the rotating engine assembly the noise will go away at the time you do the cylinder with the problem. then you know witch cylinder has the noise

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 15, 06:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
But eliminate everything mentioned above.. including a slight exhaust leak at the rear of the engine, and any spark jumping... including behind the dizzy.....
...fuel pump, water pump, PCV....

All easy to check with a stethoscope...just keep it away from moving parts

I had a ticking that I was sure was coming from the lifters but a $15 stethoscope made it clear that it was the fuel pump. Use the solid rod that comes with the stethoscope, not the rubber cone, and just touch it to everything and you'll isolate the source in a few minutes.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 15, 07:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I tried all of the above and more with a "ticking" noise in a new engine. Engine was a 383 stroker crate engine from Blueprint Engines. Ended up adjusting the valves and cured the problem.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 15, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Valves/ lifters.. I have a set of old stock tin covers, measured very careful a slot up the centre... positioned so with a few rpms the oil doesnt squirt over the fender and hit the missus as she brings me a fresh coffee....oh and saves cleaning up any mess to....
Made to adjust lifters while engine running...
Using a scope on the covers will get u close enough... if valve train... to 2 or 3 lifters/ valves....the covers ID which straight off... BUT if found on (I mention above) the covers.. then cant find without... have a VERY close inspection inside... espec if using after market alloy...

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 15, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Jesse

yeah, I had some old valve covers i cut up so i could adjust while running, the problem is the engine is quiet at idle. If a rev it up to around 1600 it starts to make a mess and the ticking still seems a little deeper in the motor.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 15, 11:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
measured very careful a slot up the centre... positioned so with a few rpms the oil doesnt squirt over the fender and hit the missus as she brings me a fresh coffee
Yep the 1st one I did was not quite right, and made a mess at higher rpms....and u need a left and a right one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode