327/210hp stock with smog equip - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Guys,
Just getting started with a 67 Camaro I bought.
79K orig miles, documented, Cali car, number match, Protecto-plate..PG Trans, 3.08 non-posi rear. Replaced the plugs already and they looked normal. Already had the new dual exhaust w/turbos put in. Had to do something with the exhaust anyway to get it to pass inspec. Excellent shape. Drives great.

I'm going to pull the motor/trans for clean up and paint.Want to add a little power while I'm at it. I was thinking of a new manifold, 4bbl carb plus maybe some new heads. Also will change rear end ratio someday.

Any recommendations for a nice gain in HP without going overboard? Want to be able to
keep/use the orig motor for the numbers matching thing. I guess I can just through the removed parts in a box and keep.

Does anyone have a good instructions for removing the smog equip? How much HP (if any) does the smog equip take away? I've found the cast iron plugs for the exhaust mans, but what about vacumm/PCV routing? Have already received some of my tech manuals , but of course non of them address de-smogging.

Thanks!

Jim
67 Hard top,G-Gold, 327/210,PG,AIR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 03, 02:15 PM

Smile

First Jim,

Check with your state smog inspection station before you do anything b/c it may be illegal to remove the stuff where you are at even if it is as old as it is!!

Anyway, the stuff doesn't sap that much hp so if you do decide to add some stuff it won't hurt to leave the smog stuff on your motor.

BTW, you should have about 8.75 to 1 CR. so you are down a schosh for good power as well as your heads are the 1.72"/1.50" valved ones.

A Performer cam at 204/214 is one step up from the great, imho, old -929 stock cam at 195/202..

Even so I wouldn't go above say the Crane 266/210 and certainly NO bigger then a CC 268HE at 268/218!!! And even it is a schosh big at your stock CR.

A stock Q-Jet or a 600cfm 1850 Holley on any of say, stock, Q-Jet, to 300hp/327 AFB cast-iron manifolds with an adapter or a Performer or a Weiand 8004 should do you very well.

As will a set of either 1.50" or 1.625" four tube, long headers!!

You may want to use the Fel-pro #1094, .015" thick, rubber coated steel shim headgaskets to help you a little on the CR....

Hope this is of help here... pdq67

PS., if you can, maybe a set of 305HO heads at 58cc's and with 1.84"/1.50" valves and hardened seats may be just the ticket to boost your little motor some for not much money at all..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode