Source for 302 cam - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

My next winter project is to put an original cam back into my 69 302. It currently has a hydraulic cam with roller rockers, Torker 1 intake & 600-650 Holley. Do you think I can just pull cam & put in a freshened 30-30 cam (thats what the original was right?) reinstall orig manifold & 800 Holley, leaving the roller rockers? I have all the original parts but I think a new cam would be a wise idea. I have no idea whats been done about the compression ratio, though since the car is a rocket, I believe its high. GM Direct stocks the orig cam (made by Crane) & lifters for $108.00.
What you all think
Thanks
Bill
waiting to hear the legendary Z28 idle.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 08:28 AM

Angry

The DZ engine came with the 30-30 solid cam and a hi-rise dual plane and like a 780 vacuum secondary, Holley 3310-1 type carb.

I don't know if you can just change cams and lifters and nothing else b/c I'm really not up on what the different pushrod lengths between the two lifters are..

The roller rockers will be fine, though and will help upstairs with valve train stability. pdq67

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 03, 09:04 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Any time you change anything in the valvetrain from stock, you should check the valvetrain geometry, especialy true if you swapped to roller rockers. I like and use the CC cast steel roller tips because they do the job and still fit under the stock cast aluminum valve covers. The 1.52 ratio roller tips did not require special length pushrods in my engine. It would be impossible to know in advance what pushrod length you need unless it is all stock. Hope you enjoy the new cam!

-Mark.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 03, 04:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

billy d:
What dealer in your area will sell that 302 cam and lifters for $108. Please post the name or email me with the info.
Gary Lindeman

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 03, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ has the parts I mentioned at the $108. I hear that they have high shipping costs but I don't know as I haven't ordered anything yet, I'm still looking.
Bill

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/perform...CATID=826.html heres a more detailed site. One place it says with lifters, the other doesn't specify
hope this helps

[ 03-12-2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: billyd ]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 03, 01:34 PM
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 03, 04:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Thanks, guys!
[img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img] Gary

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode