Please help me & my 1967 camaro!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 15, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Smile Please help me & my 1967 camaro!!

Hello guys I am looking to drop a 383 crate engine in my 1967 camaro.. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
That one to be specific pushing upward to 500 horses.. & I know I will need a new transmission I want an Auto trans but don't know what one would be perfect with that engine?.. & people told me that I will have to change my rear end as well? I don't know if that is true as of right now it has a 10 bolt.
If I did go through with that engine will my car be faster than a 5.0 newer mustang? What are the 0-60 times looking like? What more would I need for this engine swap? As of right now it has a 350 motor! I would appreciate it if anyone gave me advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 15, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Re: Please help me & my 1967 camaro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_poppa_sat View Post
If I did go through with that engine will my car be faster than a 5.0 newer mustang? What are the 0-60 times looking like? What more would I need for this engine swap? As of right now it has a 350 motor! I would appreciate it if anyone gave me advice
The 2011 and newer Mustangs have 400+ hp and run high 12's.

It's going to take a lot to match that.

Why worry about beating a car with 45 years advantage in technology ? Build it to be fun to drive and don't worry about it.

A 500 hp 383 will be a PITA to drive on the street. This is JMHO so don't let anyone stop you if you really want a race car for the street.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 15, 08:45 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence454 View Post
the 2011 and newer mustangs have 400+ hp and run high 12's.

It's going to take a lot to match that.

Why worry about beating a car with 45 years advantage in technology ? Build it to be fun to drive and don't worry about it.

A 500 hp 383 will be a pita to drive on the street. This is jmho so don't let anyone stop you if you really want a race car for the street.
x2

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 04:24 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

You can have a 10000HP in your Camaro and still not beat the newer cars. The advantage they have over our older cars is in their suspension/weight balance/tires/traction control/etc. Its going to take a lot more than dropping a 500HP 383 in your car if you want to get the better of the newer cars.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 06:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

For driveability and power I'd look for an LS motor to build with an overdrive trans.

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 08:32 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I have a 500 + 383 , 4 speed and 3:55 rear 9.99.1 compression that uses 92 octane.
I have no problems driving it on the street. if need be, it will lug down 35 mph in 4th gear with no problem
my only issue is it only gets 10-12 mpg. there again I didn't build the car for economy
there are several guys I know that are pushing close to 500 to the rear wheels that are daily drivers for them weather permitting
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

Welcome to TC.

Thats a great first post! LOL

I think some of these guys are trying to bring you back to reality.

That small block engine with the cam choice needed to get 500hp will be essentially unstreetable.

Ignore what the slick salesman says in the ebay ad. Here is the actual catalog description for that particular cam:

Quote:
Rough idle, needs good heads. Good upper midrange. Needs 3,500+ stall.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-180345-10

So you're going to need at least a 3500 stall convertor. You want to drive that on the street in Southern California?? I wouldn't. The powerband is listed as 2,600-6,400, this engine is not going to be happy unless its revving up high.

So, in other words, do you want to drive this car on the street, or are you building a race car???

For a street machine, you want low end and midrange torque. Stop looking at HP numbers. Instead of 500 hp, start dreaming about 500 ft-lbs of torque. I'd recommend you consider a big block swap. There truly is 'no replacement for displacement'. A budget 454 build can produce some serious numbers, and for about 1/2 the price of that skip white 383.

Check this article out. Its just one example of what a big block can do. And it is certainly streetable. They used a relatively mild 224/230 cam and 80's era iron TBI heads!

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-engine-build/
Quote:
Displacing a true 461 ci thanks to a 0.030 overbore, the Demon 400hp 454 delivered more than advertised by producing 446 hp at 4,900 rpm and an impressive 542 lb-ft at just 3,600 rpm. Torque production from the big-block exceeded 500 lb-ft from 2,800 to 4,600 rpm. The Demon 454 belted out 490 lb-ft way down at 2,500 rpm and never produced less than 400 lb-ft. That, my friends, is why big-blocks rule. This motor would be equally at home in an RV, truck, or performance street machine and (if 450 hp and 542 lb-ft aren't enough) would make an excellent starting point for a more serious buildup.
Or how about this one? A 8:1 low compression wheezer that would run fine on regular unleaded. A simple ring & bearing rebuild with a summit cam and was still over 500 ft-lbs of torque.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-collar-build/

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
'68 350 4 speed

Last edited by kookykrispy; Jul 25th, 15 at 09:40 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
For a street machine, you want low end and midrange torque. Stop looking at HP numbers. Instead of 500 hp, start dreaming about 500 ft-lbs of torque. I'd recommend you consider a big block swap. There truly is 'no replacement for displacement'. A budget 454 build can produce some serious numbers, and for about 1/2 the price of that skip white 383.

Check this article out. Its just one example of what a big block can do. And it is certainly streetable. They used a relatively mild 224/230 cam and 80's era iron TBI heads!

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...-engine-build/
Great post Joe. Not only does the 454 have a big advantage in cubic inches, the "canted valve" heads breathe like a small-block can only dream about !

I built my 454 just like that article, but used Eddy heads and a relatively small (214/224) Howards roller cam. I expect 470 hp and a smooth idle.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode