Wrong engine/frame mounts? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Wrong engine/frame mounts?

Have always had an issue with the engine sitting too far rearward. HE I distributor was too close to the firewall and the transmission was very tight to get in the crossmember. I've attached a picture showing the passenger side frame mount. Both mounts seem to hang off the rear of the crossmember about 3/4". Are these the wrong mounts? 1969 small block car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150725_110316.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	117570  

1969 X44, 355 SBC, BDS 6-71 blower, dual Eddy carbs, TCI Streetfighter TH350, 4000 stall, Denny's driveshaft, 10-bolt 8.5 rear w/4.56 gears, Caltracs, M&H drag radials, 10 point cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Re: Wrong engine/frame mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpstart View Post
Have always had an issue with the engine sitting too far rearward.
HE I distributor was too close to the firewall
The 67-69 Camaros came with small body distributors.

To use a HEI distributor requires denting the firewall. You may not have any incorrect parts.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 02:27 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Wrong engine/frame mounts?

Yes, the frame mounts hang over the crossmember as shown. You may be able to gain some firewall clearance by shimming up your transmission mount. This could change your header to steering box clearance in a good way or a bad way. Also, check for fan clearance if you shim the mount.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Jul 25th, 15 at 02:38 PM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thanks for the replys. Doing some more digging, I now believe I have 307/327 frame mounts, instead of the correct 302/350/396 mounts. Possibly the wrong motor mounts as well. Getting the #s together to source all the right parts.
Thanks

1969 X44, 355 SBC, BDS 6-71 blower, dual Eddy carbs, TCI Streetfighter TH350, 4000 stall, Denny's driveshaft, 10-bolt 8.5 rear w/4.56 gears, Caltracs, M&H drag radials, 10 point cage
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Also keep an eye on how the fan centres in the shroud.. espec at the bottom...
There are several different engine mounts and stands for different engines and yrs...
I still have the original stands.. in the car... and original trans and engine mounts from factory stored away with lot of other stuff... worn out.. but good reference.
My original trans mount is a good 10/ 12 mmm higher than the only 'off the shelf' mount available here....so the off the shelf mount has a spacer made of drilled steel bar and longer bolts.
Yes I have over the yrs got the wrong mounts and engine / HEI didnt sit right....
And also have put the wrong mounts on the wrong sides.. same result.
With corect mounts, and correct height trans mount... the fan sits slightly low in the shroud rather than dead center.. but think this is because of the after market replacement is slightly diff shape to the original
The HEI drops in, but the orginal HEI, cap thing that the HT lead boots clip in needs a few mm shaved off the back.
The HEI needs to be dropped in in factory position... #1 to the front , VA pointing to just behind the passengers head light....a tooth out either way once u have established your initial timing will put the HEI hard up against the firewall....
Once u have the HEI adjusted to your initial timing, with the rear 2 HT lead boots parallel to to the fire wall u will still have a light rub.
The only effect this has is around every 7 to 10 yrs u need to replace the slightly closest rear HT boot as it will wear and have HT spark leak... and the 7 to 10yr is on a daily driver around 50 to 70K miles

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 09:02 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Wrong engine/frame mounts?

Don't bother changing your framestands and engine mounts. The 302/350 mounts aren't going to give you more room, they will give you less ! There isn't more than an 1/8" difference, and the 307/327 mounts will give you the most clearance at the firewall.

If it helps, I have the 302/350 mounts, an HEI AND a dented firewall.

I have researched the frame mounts and the engine mounts extensively... any questions... fire away.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 11:53 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Chris, Measure your frame bracket from the frame to the center of the bolt hole. The height measurement for a 69 302 frame bracket is left-1 7/16 & R-1 9/16. It uses mount part number 3990918. The low performance 67,68,69 frame bracket height is from frame to center of bolt hole L-2" and R-2 3/16. It uses mount part number 3990914.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech
George

I wish there were a cut and dry answer as to why some firstgens have no problem with a large hei and others require major surgery. Unfortunately, mine will not fit one. It would have made my life so much easier.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 09:22 AM
Banned
Chet

That's what hammers, small body HEIs, and Petronix conversion kits are for. That firewall is just a piece of sheetmetal that can be modified or restored how ever you see fit.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
That firewall is just a piece of sheetmetal that can be modified or restored how ever you see fit.
Dunno about that...havnt had to hammer the firewall there, but having seen it from the inside and engine bay.. its close to a seam ....and looking at it, its going to take more than just abash with a hammer to make any significant dent.....and how the distortion may effect the seam... sealing in the future etc

Its not something I would be doing without a lot of forethought...

So if your combo.. using the higher factory trans mount or adaptation to it... or mounts/ stands dont work... or cant be bothered to mess around.... dont bash the firewall,
As suggested above, go to a small body alternative.

I only messed around because when I did.. it was before internet, before small body hei s etc

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Ashlee and Andy

I have to second the small body HEI, i had a normal sized hei and had my cap get knocked loose by the firewall many times and decided to gut a distributor and do an HEI conversion.

But, there are commercial units out there, perfronix, mallory and msd come to mind
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 06:08 PM
Senior Tech
George

I use a pertronix unit right now but I like the idea of the whole system, coil and all, in the large body hei. I dont want to have to mount an external box or coil. I like the idea of one wire and youre good to go.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff67rs View Post
I use a pertronix unit right now but I like the idea of the whole system, coil and all, in the large body hei. I dont want to have to mount an external box or coil. I like the idea of one wire and youre good to go.
An external coil behind the air cleaner on the intake bothers you ? That's how they came from the factory.

Big HEI's bother me just like seeing the alternator on the wrong side of the engine.

Like seeing a "caution" sticker on a radiator shroud.

Like seeing an "air-gap" intake.

Like seeing an edelbrock carburetor.

Like seeing a serpentine belt drive.

I guess I'm just getting more cranky the older I get.

Ronald Reagan
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 10:01 PM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence454 View Post
An external coil behind the air cleaner on the intake bothers you ? That's how they came from the factory.

Big HEI's bother me just like seeing the alternator on the wrong side of the engine.

Like seeing a "caution" sticker on a radiator shroud.

Like seeing an "air-gap" intake.

Like seeing an edelbrock carburetor.

Like seeing a serpentine belt drive.

I guess I'm just getting more cranky the older I get.
I dont have any of those things on my car. In fact, the reason why I have any problem with the external coil is because I have a 65 corvette intake on my car and it doesnt have the bolt holes for the coil mount. On the vette the coil bracket was bolted to the ignition shielding bracket so I had to rig my coil mount. It works fine but has always bothered me. And the hei has always been a very reliable setup for me on other vehicles.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 15, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff67rs View Post
I dont have any of those things on my car. In fact, the reason why I have any problem with the external coil is because I have a 65 corvette intake on my car and it doesnt have the bolt holes for the coil mount. On the vette the coil bracket was bolted to the ignition shielding bracket so I had to rig my coil mount. It works fine but has always bothered me. And the hei has always been a very reliable setup for me on other vehicles.
Well I learn something every day on here. I owned a 62 Vette and never knew of an intake that didn't have a coil bracket mount.

I was teasing anyway; hope you knew that.

Why not sell that Vette intake ? It's probably worth a lot more than a performer rpm.

Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode