To buy an L78 or not... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

To buy an L78 or not...

I bought a 396 motor that has developed a knock and it needs to be removed from the car and taken apart. Since the rebuild cost will likely exceed the value of the motor, the guy I bought the engine from is willing to take the motor back and refund my $$$.

So now I need a 396 rebuilt long block or the engine guy has a 1968 L78 motor that has been fully rebuilt with all period correct dated parts. He will sell the L78 for $6000.

I paid $2500 for the used motor that I got from him so I would have to pay him an additional $3500 for the 396 L78.

The problem is this, the engine guy and two other engine builders I talked to all say NOT to buy the L78. They say it will not be driver friendly being that is needs more RPM to make power. Also being 11:1 it won't run on pump gas. Their exact words were "it will leave like a turd."

The engine builders suggest to buy a peroid rebuilt long block that is 10:1 and set up for ease of driving and that I would be happier with that in the long run.

The problem with a rebuilt 396 long block is that it will cost about the same as getting the L78, I personally think the L78 will add more value to the car despite it's drivability problems.

I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: To buy an L78 or not...

I suggest buying into the money market instead of a buying the L-78 if you want to make money. Your engine builders are telling you the truth.

If you want more performance consider buying a used ZZ502 motor for about $5000 and spend the other $1,000 on a rebuild for the 502. It looks like a 396 (has a short deck height and with a 396-375 horse decal 9 out of 10 will believe the decal at any car show you go to).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode