396/325 Rebuild Options - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I have a #s matching 68 RSSS w/ a 396/325 and getting ready to plan the engine rebuild. The car only has 54K miles on it. I'm trying to keep the car as stock as possible. Plus this will help keep the cost down. I would like the car to sound better than it performs. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Won't be racing this one! To original!

Any thoughts from the pros concerning this process and suggestions on name brands for parts.

1968 RSSS BB 396/325 AC TH-400 Black/Red (Sold)
1969 Nova SS 350 M-20 Red/Black (Original)
1967 Chevelle SS (Clone)(Project)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 03, 04:49 PM

Angry

tim68, not knowing any history on how the engine has been used in the past, I will offer the following. I would pull the engine and disassemble everything and then check to see what is worn and what needs to be replaced. At a minimum, new main bearings,cam bearings,rod bearings,freeze plugs,maybe a light honing of the cylinders. I don't see that there would be to much wear and tear on this with the low mileage.But you never know.Maybe new rod bolts,have the rods resized.Hope this helps. Notice you are in Va. Near Richmond? [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks 67CamSS/RS! I haven't even taken the heads off yet. Just trying to get some input on process and a good name brand to use for parts. I'm hoping I don't have to bore the block where I can use the stock pistons. I guess I will put a medium cam in it for bark more than bite. Some people have told me I may want to line bore it because it is a big block but no more than I plan on turning this engine I may not need to do that.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 01:52 PM

With 54K and those decent stock forged pistons you might be able to reuse them. I would have hardend seats put in the heads though. Try to keep the grinding and oversizing to a minium so the engine can be rebuilt may times. New rings bearings, oil pump and gaskets are the basics. New springs are nice for a step in cam to. You might what to put in a 350HP 396 cam or maybe an RV cam. I would think the 350HP cam would work well because i think they are the same engine expect for the cam. Dont do anything to ruin the orginality of the car, its SOOOO nice to see true untouched muscle cars in this era....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 03, 04:54 PM

Angry

tim68, I would check further concerning line boring the block. Can't recall where I heard it or read it, but if I recall correctly, there are very few engines that require a line bore.I will look through my manuals and see what I can find.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 03, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Angry

Re-ring it, hone the stock bore size, new bearings, valve job, 396/350HP repro cam and careful assembly will have you smiling! No need to go any further than that IMHO. If you want a tad more power I would advise spending the money on a good bowl blend for the heads. Best way to improve power is to work on the heads.

-Mark.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 03, 04:51 PM

Angry

tim68, checked for the manuals and didn't find the one I was looking for.My son called and read some info from a book he had. Basically, align honing should be left to a machine shop that is experienced in building high performance engines.Most machine shops don't have the necessary machine to properly align hone a block.I would agree with stingr69on the head work.You get good bang for the bucks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 03, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for the input guys!! I know a considerable amount of $ can be dropped into an engine. I had rather put the $ into the other areas of my project being that this won't be a street racer. Just for SHOW! I hope to start this phase early Fall. I'll post the progress. Again Thanks! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode