Question about new crate engines - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Pretty soon I should have enough money saved to buy a new GM 350ci small block crate engine for my 68. Before I put it in I want to do whatever needed to it to give it that distinct roar without either damaging it or reducing its horsepower. Starting with the cam, what is the best size cam for an engine of this size? Also what else can I do to it that would allow me to reach this goal? I am trying to gather as much info as I can before actually doing anything, so please, any info or advise you have to offer I can assure you will be truly cherished

------------------
Life is most generous to those bold enough to live it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 03:16 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garfield,
I would think the cam that it comes with would be a good one to run. We like to change things around here as that is what this is all about but maybe you should run the cam that comes with the engine. I guess it depends on which crate motor you are looking at buying. Which one are you saving up for?

-Mark.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 03:16 AM
Senior Tech

Check this web site out it will give you some ideas. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/perform...s/frameset.cfm
The high performance crate motors come with a mild cam.
Version 1 : long block chromed out.
Version 2: complete motor including intake, carb, flex plate, water pump, HEI distributor, and damper.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 03:33 AM
Senior Tech

I have bought many crate motors and will tell you that while they are very good investments for your car and perform quite well, they sound like your mothers oldsmobile..... if you are looking for that cam sound. The reason is selection of very mild cams and roller ones at that for some of the crate motors from GM Performance Parts. The performance from these engines is very good for the dollar and of course come with a great warranty. That's good.

On the other side is some aftermarket motor building houses such as American Speed to name one, that will build you a more uden uden uden type sounding engine. Combined with chambered exhausts and full length headers....well, it's heavenly sounding to a rodder such as yourself.

Buying a crate motor and figuring on a cam change for both performance and sound can be done, but now you are talking about possibly making changes to other things on these crate motors because of their mechanical restrictions on the valve train/heads which puts you into the spending money abyss.

I would say that the GM PP 330hp with chambered exhausts sounds pretty good for a start and is the "best" buy for the buck. The ZZ4 will outperform the 330hp version, but sounds like crap in my opinion.

I would tell you that a purchased short block, add Edelbrock 64 CC heads, Edelbrock RPM performer intake and Carb, comp cams XE 268hyd cam, HEI, full length headers, chambered exhausts, and it will be awsome! If you have a four speed you could go up to the XE 274 for alittle more hp, and alot more cam sound.

Whatever your choice, good luck and have fun.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks to all of you . I'm gonna print this post out and both save and study it for a while..

------------------
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 02, 06:33 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Which crate are you saving for? What acc's will you be needing to make it run in your car? Before thinking about a cam swap account for all the rest of the money you'll need to spend. Nothing like a new mill between the front fenders and no money for pullys, belts, hoses a carb or exhaust system. You may even need a new clutch... See where I'm coming from? Price out everything you can and have a good idea where you stand to have a running car. If you still have enough money left then think about the cam. If your broke then plan a cam swap down the road!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 08:09 AM

i bought the 350 h.o. "330 horse". i did a a three angle valve job on the vortec heads, 1.6 rockers, cc xe 268 hydraulic cam. with a muncie 4 speed, holley 670 street avenger carb, posi 3.55s and performer rpm intake. easy mid 13 sec car. i dynoed 269 rwhp and 326 lb of torque. it is a sleeper, i like it. nothing special but it runs nice.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 02, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech

Are you sure that your 3-angle valve job and cam swap worked? I have a 350 ho 330hp and I came off the dyno with 275 rwhp. I dont think gears make a difference on the dyno, but I'm running 3.73. Does anyone have any good experiences with cam swaps with this motor?

Thanks
Mike Walters
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 02, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi Ice and Mike- I was looking at the 350 H.O./330hp crate engine you two have on the web "GM crate engines". Are you overall happy with it? How does it sound and perform? Was it hard to install? Was everything there with the motor when you bought it? What size block is it, Big or Small? Is it a 2-bolt mani or 4-bolt main? I know that these are a lot of questions, but I know of no one else who owns this type motor. I've got about 3/4th the money saved up for it now and I need to know as much about this engine as possible before I actually place an order...PLEASE respond...Thanks

------------------
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 02, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi Icg and Mike- I was looking at the 350 H.O./330hp crate engine you two have on the web "GM crate engines". Are you overall happy with it? How does it sound and perform? Was it hard to install? Was everything there with the motor when you bought it? What size block is it, Big or Small? Is it a 2-bolt mani or 4-bolt main? I know that these are a lot of questions, but I know of no one else who owns this type motor. I've got about 3/4th the money saved up for it now and I need to know as much about this engine as possible before I actually place an order...PLEASE respond...Thanks

------------------
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 02, 04:25 AM
Senior Tech
John

I just got a custom built engine this summer, and it is rockin'.

I got the engine from a place out of Summerduck Virginia named AR Racing, owned and operated by Mark Lim. They do only chevy engines. He sells a lot of engines on Ebay actually, and if you would like to see some good prices on good packages, go to www.ebay.com and click on the "smart search" function. Then click the "by seller" option and type in the user ID "[email protected]"

You can read about my engine on my page at www.geocities.com/boodlefoof/engine2
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 02, 04:36 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I have a 330 hp crate. If I was to do it over again, first would be a new GM short block and AFR heads or a 385 fast burn with hot cam and 1.6 rockers.

------------------
Black 69 camaro
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 02, 09:20 PM
Senior Tech

i bought the 350HO/330HP, motor, immediatley converted it to the "Salle Chevrolet...super deluxe 350HO/380HP", by changing the cam to the 268xe & springs...

my motor sounds mean through the flows. i would've went w/roller "hot cam"...but wanted to use the loud gear drive.

i don't use it as a dailey driver...but i can cause it will idle all day long w/o running hot and will run my p/b & a/c.

oh, & it just took me to reno, around 300 miles away for "hot august nights" this past weekend too!

def a good buy. after i finally get this 350HO on a little nitrous (100HP), i'll be planning my 383 from my original motor or will go w/aluminum heads & roller cam...maybe!

if ya decide to go this route, you'll need another flex plate and a vortec compatible intake manifold...

fyi...i had my original 350 pumt up w/ported heads, big cam etc...the crate motor feels much stronger!
good luck
czar

[This message has been edited by czar (edited 08-20-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode