Smoken!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Question

After a fresh rebuild no block decking or head milling I pulled the aluminum intake on the 87 SBC to have it polished after 3200 miles with no previous issues. The polisher did not touch any of the mating surfaces. Did not reinstall new torque plus intake gaskets .060 like I had on it up until the 3200 miles. Used fel-pro ďblueĒ teflon coated intake gaskets .060. The first thing I noticed was some smoking out of the right side of the exhaust. Not right away but after itís warm. At idle a light bit of smoke comes out, not much but throttle on, and there is more. Have not done this yet under a load. The heads have the positive seal valve seals I had to have the outside of the valve guide bosses cut for installation. Checked those they looked good. Checked timing, checked vacuum with regards to idle screw settings 600 holley single feed (1850). PCV is working have it on the right side but removed it for diagnosis. Checked plugs seems that I have a rich condition both sides. Plug 8 gooey wet. Pulled the intake back off seams that I may have had a leak path on the bottom corner of intake runner 8. Reinstalled with fel-pro printoseal .060 thick, which they recommended. Still the same condition. I did notice something I may have missed before a very light hint of blue smoke coming from the hole where I have the PCV removed. Funny thing I donít see the hint of blue coming from the right side valve cover from where the breather would be mounted that I removed. I guess a leak down would tell me about the rings. The compression is in on all. Iím a few nerves away from puling the engine to check the rings. Any ideas?
BTW this engine was built in 1995.

`O_O>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 03, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Thought I would reply back to myself incase anyone was stumped. Turns out upon removing the valve springs exhaust right and left side, 6 and 8 did not have the o-ring seals let alone the umbrella seals. Don't know what the dufus that put the heads together was thinking but it never smoked until just when I hit the 3000+ mile mark. I replaced them all. There were no aftermarket guides installed and clearance looked good for now. Stock 87 heads will go, with vortecs heads to be installed this winter. It was just a coincidence that it smoked after the intake was reinstalled.

`O_O>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode