Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 15, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Almos

Garage
What is this cylinder shaped thing?

Hello,

Can You guys help me what the hell is this cylinder shaped thing at the left there? Do I need it?? Or just some environmental crap?

My restoration project:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1967 Camaro Convertible 327/210HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 15, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech
jerry

Re: What is this cylinder shaped thing?

Almos, that's the crankcase breather for the Early Chevy v8. You should have
A round draft tube that bolts onto the rear of engine and ends by the pan
Bottom. The early v8's did not have a PVC valve setup like now. Hope that
Helps.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 15, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Almos

Garage

There was like a 90 degree elbow cap looking thing at the end of the engine what was connected to the carburetor bottom plate through a PCV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS 69 Z View Post
Almos, that's the crankcase breather for the Early Chevy v8. You should have
A round draft tube that bolts onto the rear of engine and ends by the pan
Bottom. The early v8's did not have a PVC valve setup like now. Hope that
Helps.

My restoration project:

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 15, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

That oil separator was used after the introduction of the PCV in 1963. The presence of that separator tells me that you have a small journal crank 283 or a 327. With the introduction of the large journal crankshaft in 1968 (1967 if you had a Camaro SS with a 350 engine) that piece was dropped from the block machining process and the PCV was moved to the valve covers.

Instead of a road draft tube, after 1962 there was a conical cap that had a hose barb that fed a hose up to the intake manifold were the PCV was screwed into the back of the carb, or the PCV was placed in the oil fill tube.

Big Dave
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 15, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Almos

Garage

there was a conical cap that had a hose barb that fed a hose up to the intake manifold were the PCV was screwed into the back of the carb,

This is what I have.

And I have a 327/210 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
That oil separator was used after the introduction of the PCV in 1963. The presence of that separator tells me that you have a small journal crank 283 or a 327. With the introduction of the large journal crankshaft in 1968 (1967 if you had a Camaro SS with a 350 engine) that piece was dropped from the block machining process and the PCV was moved to the valve covers.

Instead of a road draft tube, after 1962 there was a conical cap that had a hose barb that fed a hose up to the intake manifold were the PCV was screwed into the back of the carb, or the PCV was placed in the oil fill tube.

Big Dave

My restoration project:

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 15, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by almano View Post
there was a conical cap that had a hose barb that fed a hose up to the intake manifold were the PCV was screwed into the back of the carb,

This is what I have.

And I have a 327/210 1967
Yes, I have the same engine and pcv setup. That baffle keeps the pcv system from sucking up oil during normal operation. Leave it on there.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 15, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: What is this cylinder shaped thing?

Put a frost plug in the hole of the block after you throw the "can" and everything attached to it away.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 15, 10:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Put a frost plug in the hole of the block after you throw the "can" and everything attached to it away.
Or after you sell the can to somebody who is looking for one. They are getting hard to come by.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 15, 11:13 PM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
The only problem is then he has to change the pcv system to a valve cover setup. Which is fine but I think hes trying to keep the engine looking stock, and those script valve covers are a big part of that. I went through a similar dilemma at one point.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 15, 12:05 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

The '67 and '68's have the PCV valve in the oil fill tubes, don't they ?

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 15, 08:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Carbuff posted...
"Yes, I have the same engine and pcv setup. That baffle keeps the pcv system from sucking up oil during normal operation. Leave it on there. "

I'd suggest modifying this statement slightly.. you should first CLEAN that baffle can by soaking in a solvent. it's filled with a wire mesh filter (like a metal brillo pad) which prevents oil from getting out the draft tube, but after many years they become clogged and also can prevent the pressurized oil vapors from escaping . So clean thoroughly and then replace if you are rebuilding that engine.

PS. If anyone has an unused 'adaptor for the rear of the engine' (which replaced the draft tube in '63 or so?).. and which provided vent connection to carb or intake, I'm interested in purchase of one to eliminate the draft tube for a 1960 engine.I'm rebuilding.

Gary

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 15, 09:39 PM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
The '67 and '68's have the PCV valve in the oil fill tubes, don't they ?
The 67 210 hp 327 uses either an open system (48 state) or a closed system (cali smog setup). The open system has the pcv valve at the back of the carb connected to that hole in the back by the distributor. Intake breather is a breather cap on the oil fill tube. In the closed system the pcv valve is in the oil fill tube with a closed cap and the air intake breather is through the hole in the back to the air cleaner. Either way, the valve covers are solid closed. Im not sure about the 68 systems.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 15, 12:17 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

I was just thinking that you could put a pcv valve in the fill tube instead of putting one in a valve cover.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 15, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Almos

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff67rs View Post
The 67 210 hp 327 uses either an open system (48 state) or a closed system (cali smog setup). The open system has the pcv valve at the back of the carb connected to that hole in the back by the distributor. Intake breather is a breather cap on the oil fill tube. In the closed system the pcv valve is in the oil fill tube with a closed cap and the air intake breather is through the hole in the back to the air cleaner. Either way, the valve covers are solid closed. Im not sure about the 68 systems.
Yeapp this is my system the 48 state. I think I leave like that. But I don't like the fact that the dirty gases full with CO goes back to the fresh air destroying the ideal AFR. Not best for getting the maximum performance out of an engine.

My restoration project:

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 15, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
I was just thinking that you could put a pcv valve in the fill tube instead of putting one in a valve cover.
Sure, you could do that. But there has to be a breather to let fresh air in the engine to take the place of the air youre sucking out. Preferably on the opposite side of the engine like the factory does. If
you relied on the vented oil fill cap then the pcv valve would just suck fresh air from the vent being so close and not suck out any blowby gasses. You need that front to back air flow to clear out the gasses. Or side to side as the factory eventually went to with the valve cover setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode