2-Bolt vs 4-Bolt - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 03, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Out of sheer curiosity, how many people here own 2-bolt 350cid engines? For those that do, How pleased are you with it and why did you choose it over a 4-bolt? Please tell us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 03:11 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I have used 2-bolt blocks mainly due to their increased availability. I like them and have had no failures either in racing or towing conditions. Having said that, most of my race engines are 450hp or less, and my towing conditions are not extreme.
Chris

68 Camaro, 555 big block, Doug Nash 5-speed, 3.54 gear.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 03:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Mine came with a 2 bolt and it's held up well.
On a rebuild I would go with ARP studs for extra insurance.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Angry

In the old days when I was racing and building engines, I used only a few 4 bots, mostly 2 bolts. With ARP studs and proper machine work and balancing, I never had a failure. Other things may have broken, but never had a problem with 2 bolts. Keep in mind, these were'nt 800 hp motors, mostly around 500 to 650 hp. A 4 bolt is nice, a 2 bolt is very OK.

Daddy's Hot Rod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech

I would worry more about using a late 70s block than whether it was 2 or 4 bolt. The earlier the block the better. Most of the light blocks (ones with only about half as much vin. pad)that I have come across are cracked in the lifter area. If you lift an early block then do the same to a later one you can't believe how much heavier the early is.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

My 385 (stroked 350) is a 2 bolt, it has been together a long time and has seen some abuse. I did use ARP studs. My 383 is also a two bolt but, I had it splayed. Two bolts are fine and I actually prefer them, if you are going to go extreme then just have it splayed. I have also read that 2 bolts are actually stronger that 4 botls.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Have had both, neither ever failed. The 2 bolt engine has ARP studs while the 4 bolt engine has factory windage tray studs on it.

I like 2 bolts better because they are cheaper and easier to find. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Mark.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Ditto.

Use the extra money you would have used to buy the 4-bolt to get yourself some ARP rod bolts, main studs, etc.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 03, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver69Camaro:
Ditto.

Use the extra money you would have used to buy the 4-bolt to get yourself some ARP rod bolts, main studs, etc.
The way things are looking right now, I think this idea would be best...Thanks!!

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode