MSD Ignition - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 04, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with an MSD box. I bought a 6A box a little over a year ago and it already went bad. I took my car out for a drive for the first time since January. It hasn't been started because I was waiting for a radiator that was a month and a half late. When I pulled back into the driveway I opened the hood to check for leak and watched smoke rise out of the ignition box. It was wired according to the instructions with a good ground and positive connections. The box still looks new and has less than 400 miles on it. I borrowed another box and the car started right up. The car ran great and gave no warning. I may be just venting but if anyone has any suggestions of what may have happened. The car is a 67 with an MSD distributor, coil and wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 04, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I had a problem with an MSD box, but it was actually due to vibrations (during normal road use). MSD may warranty it, but if they don't, they usually repair the boxes for around $50. Give them a call and see what you can do.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 04, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech

I tried MSD boxes a while back. Actually, I have had 4 6A-6AL boxes go out over a couple of years. Send your box to MSD to have it repaired. When you get it back, put it on Ebay and get rid of it. It will fry again sooner or later. I have had great success with Accel 300+ boxes. MSD makes good distributors, but you couldn't give me one of their boxes or coils.

409SB, TH350, 12bolt 4.10<br />6.86 @ 98.8 on pump gas

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 04, 04:13 AM
Senior Tech

Yes you do get a bad one now and then. Send it back they are very good about repairs. Personal opinion, I will not buy anything made by Accel. I have not found anything they make that wasn't made the cheapest way possible.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 04, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
J

I also had problems with a MSD in the past but I decided to give them one more try. This time however I used rubber washers to limit the vibrations. But if this one goes, I'm done with them for good!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 04, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I was starting to wonder about the wiring, but I am confident that it is correct. The box I borrowed belongs to my dad and came off a circle track car. It is old and beat up but works great. I don't want to replace the entire ignition on the car but now I don't drive it without a cell phone on board. Hopefully I can get the box fixed and have better luck. If it goes bad again I will definatly go with a different option. Thanks again for the replies. Not to wish bad luck on anyone else but I am glad I am not alone.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 04, 05:05 AM
Senior Tech
Marc

I also had a 6AL MSD box that fried.
One told me to prevent burning the box you had to add a fuse to the power source. I hadn't one.

Any experience?..

Marc

Camaro 1968, propane 327ci, Big Brake, Hotchkis, T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode