Painting the engine well..... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 03, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

While sitting in agony STILL waiting for my engine block to come back from the machine shop, we have decided to clean the engine well and paint it over, the only problem is that we need to know the correct type of paint to use. Right now its all black, but its all scratched up from being scrubbed and brillo padded to death. What type of paint would be the best to use?. Anyone know [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-23-2003, 05:03 AM: Message edited by: garfield ]

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech

For a primer, I shot PPG DPLF 90 epoxy primer on mine. Looked good.

Then, I shot PPG DCC9300 with a flattening agent (paint store - $75/quart). The coverage wasn't great so I mixed up some more and reshot. Looked bad, too glossy (maybe due to temperature changes).

I researched this website and alot of folks suggested using Krylon 1613 (WalMart - $2.75 rattle-can) Last night, I scuffed up the PPG paint with a scotchbright pad and sprayed it with the Krylon 1613. Looks GREAT and dried in 10 minutes! Plus, touch-ups can be sprayed anytime.

I'm not a professional painter but I can tell you that going the Krylon route was much easier (no spray equipment to clean up), safer (no iso's) and less expensive. I wish I'd known this before I shelled out the $75...

'68 w/ ps, pb, ac, tic-toc-tac, console gauges, fold-down rear seat, 383ci, 700R4, 8.5" 3.42 posi - restification in progress
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 01:34 PM
Tech Team
Ben

Angry

I'll second the vote for Krylon....
I have done several cars this way- Scuff the paint, or down to metal if there is a bunch of coats of paint and stuff there already, 2 or 3 coats of Rustoleum Primer followed by Krylon "Semi-Flat"- Looks awesome and holds up pretty good too.
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

rust o leum code 7777 which is satin black and looks like GM did it.

Dave
69 Big Block / Hugger Orange Sold
65 Chevelle SS
Black 2010 Electra Glide Classic
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 03, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys, I gonna print this out and take it straight to Walmart [img]smile.gif[/img] . Man I don't know what Id do without you guys [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 04:53 AM
Senior Tech

The reason I didn't get the rustoleum code 7777 was that many on this website said it took too long to dry. My WalMart had both brands. I'm guessing that either will look good.

'68 w/ ps, pb, ac, tic-toc-tac, console gauges, fold-down rear seat, 383ci, 700R4, 8.5" 3.42 posi - restification in progress
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 05:06 AM

I have used both and found that the Krylon works best. The rustoleum paint has a tendancy to be tempramental when it comes to drying. I used it with good results on my outside rear panel, but had trouble with other applications. The Krylon semi-flat always gives good results and the finish looks great.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 03, 05:18 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

If u you use Rust o leum that comes in quarts or gallons and thin it with acetone it will dry in just a few hours. This is if your spraying it with a gun ofcoarse.

Dave
65 Chevelle SS
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 03, 10:36 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Just finished the underside of my floor pans this morning about 10:00 am with the Rustoleum. it's now 4:00 and its's still a bit tacky, but it came out looking great.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 03, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Cant beat the rustoleum 7777.

Dave
65 Chevelle SS
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 03, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

I agree with alot of you about the 7777 Rustoleum taking too long to dry but I used their Home Depot brand $2.50 a can and it worked great. I think it's called Best choice or something like that. I have the Krylon stuff too but I liked the H/Depot-Rustoleum brand better it went on easier and dryed real fast.

I used flat black on f/wall. I used plasti-kote black bumper paint on fan shroud.

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode